1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cabs for a Genz Streamliner 9

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jack, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Jack

Jack

Hello folks, I've just bought a Genz Streamliner 9 and whilst it sounds ok with my GK neo cabs I kind of want to go smaller.

I was all set to buy a Barefaced Midget + Compact stack but I find people often saying that the Genz prefers sealed cabs, or at least cabs with a tight low-end and prominent mids to balane it's inherent scooped tone. From what I understand this is pretty antithetical to Barefaced's tonal goals but on the other hand, I see people using them with fEarfuls and Barefaceds in several threads so I just don't know what to do.

I really really like the form factor and weight of the Baredfaced cabs and I'd much prefer two small cabs to one big one. Are there any other contenders? Does the Genz+Baredfaced combo absolutely rock and I'm worrying about nothing? Should I just call my chiropractor now and get a Bergie NV610 or even a Barefaced 69er?

Please help. :)

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

I got a Streamliner 600 recently and have a Barefaced Midget on order. I think it should pair up well, since the Midget doesn't have particularly deep lows and has supposedly grindy high mids. Since that's going to take ages to build, I have an Ampeg SVT210AV arriving (hopefully) tomorrow. They're pretty cheap and light and apparently pretty close to the sealed Ampeg 8x10 sound. A pair of those in a mini tower would be a great alternative to a back breaking 6x10!

It does sound great through my Matamp 2x12 sealed cab, but that's being sold along with my Orange AD200B. Going lightweight for now!

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, my streamliner 900 sounds great with both sealed and ported cabs. the ported ones have more low end extension, but that's what the bass knob is for ;). IME, if you boost at 600hZ on the head, you'll have plenty of midrange growl.

4. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    BTW, if it were my decision, i'd get two compacts. use one for the smaller gigs and two when you need to blast.
    if they're using an eminence 3012HO in the midget, i find that speaker to have way too much of an upper midrange peak (& harsh sounding), whereas, the 3015 (non lf) used in the compact, is a much smoother sounding speaker.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jack

Jack

I really appreciate the advice, but this

sounds like exactly what I want. Wheras this

sounds like what I'm trying to avoid. :)

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Not sure if you can get them in your neck of the woods, but I would think a pair of Bag End S15D's would be a killer match - they are loud, compact, and punchy with tight lows, prominent mids, and a fairly bright/gritty top end.

8. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    if you like harsh, brittle and peaky, then the 3012HO is for you. personally, it's like an 'ice-pick' in the ear to me.

9. Budbear

Budbear

I'm gigging a Streamliner 600 through a Barefaced Compact and I find it perfect for my needs. Excellent low end extension for a single full range driver, and more than enough mid-range to punch and cut through any mix I've come across. It is quite loud, clean, and smooth in character with no harshness at all. If I needed more volume I'd get another Compact. However, I'm an old school guy and your tonal needs may vary. A Midget on top will probably give you a bit more in the high mids, although I have not actually heard one live. Adding a tweeter to the Midget will also open up more sonic territory to you as well. Spending some time with the STL's eq will show you tonal ranges that this amp's quite capable of and you'll find that it can be matched well with a number of cabs. I suggest getting in touch with Alex and discussing your tonal goals to find out which, if any, of his products will work for you. That's what I did and I'm a lot further from his workshop than you. He's very honest in his appraisal of matching gear to needs and more interested in making good bass tone than making a sale that will reflect badly on him. His return policy is extraordinary in that regard. Good luck in your search.

10. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

U live in the UK, no brainer, Barefaced period

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

I can now confirm that the Streamliner into the SVT210AV sounds glorious. So much so that I want to buy a 2nd cab. They weigh under 12kg each, and have those snarling mids you're after, especially if you have the 2nd cab up by ear height. Plus you can get both for the same price as a Barefaced Midget! My Midget is still being built, I'll be able to do a proper comparison in about 6 weeks time!

12. freedomryder

freedomryder

Hey Danny,
    Wondering if you ended up getting a 2nd 210av or went with the Midget? I've been contemplating matching my av's with that head. Or possibly the TH500.
    Thanks!