1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cadfael's Collection of bass wiring diagrams

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OldogNewTrick, Jan 4, 2013.

1. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

I would like to draw your attention to the most comprehensive collection of bass wiring diagrams, for old and new, passive and active.
    There is nothing else out there that compares ! :bassist:

Cadfael has kindly given me permission to post a link to his Google-translated forum page, where you will find at the bottom a link to the current version of the collection.

The original page is in German, but the collection is quite self explanatory.

Enjoy. :)
  2. johnson79

johnson79

Wow. Just wow. This is awesome.

Thanks for posting!
  3. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Thanks! :)
  4. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

It's a brilliant book, I was pointed to it when it was v3.5.7. Glad to see Cadfael's still improving it.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mind blowing. The schematics look like they were prepared by a German.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

And the link posted here by another one.

Thanks Axel!
  7. Hactar

Hactar

Subbed.

Excellent schematics/drawings.
  8. Cadfael

Cadfael

Thanks for your comments! :cool:

I registered after Axel asked me for permission to post the link.
    I am a German Aspie (autistic person). I think that's comparable to a giraffe with an extra long neck? :smug:

I started this compilation about 5 years ago.
    It grew by forum user questions and I looked for historic bass wirings.
    My aim was to make a compilation with WYSIWYG drawings for easy wiring and with schematics so that (some) users may understand how it works and why the wiring is like it is.

More than 30 years ago I got an electric guitar with dismantled pots. So I bought a book by the "German wiring Guru Helmuth Lemme" and learnt all about guitar wiring. I had a "D" in physics at that time!
    English/American schematics look different, but I decided to make it like my teacher (and how it is made in Germany). I think after a very short time, the schematics are easy to "read" by Non-Germans, too.

The wiring is only "part of my hobby". I have tried to find out as much as I could about historic Fender basses and Telecaster guitars from 1950 to 1983 as I could. By doing this, I recognized different ex-factory wirings on 1951-57 P basses +++
    So, I put all my knowledge into this "compendium". It shouldn't die with me ...

I thought there were not as much Gibson bass wirings - but I was wrong ...
    And I also looked for exotic wirings like the Danelectro, Harmony, Teisco, Hagstrom or Burns bass wirings.

Some of these old wirings are really cool! :cool:
    I always moan that Gibson doesn't rely on its electronic tradition but wires many basses a boring Jazz Bass wirings. A Gibson bass with a Jazz Bass wiring is like a Bentley with a VW emblem to me ... ;)

As Axel already wrote, I have now started to have a look at Ibanez basses from 1971-77 (1978 to present already included). Ooooops! Much more work than I thought ...
  9. Anthony Fury

Anthony Fury Supporting Member

This is nothing short of a baby Jesus miracle. Beautiful!!!

Nicht schlecht, Herr Specht!!!!!
  10. Cutty

Cutty

:smug:
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

That's a fantastic job. Thanks Cadfael.
  12. blablas

blablas

Great work Cadfael, thanks for a fantastic reference source.
  13. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan

Thank you for sharing this resource! Well organized and VERY clear presentation.
  14. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Ja!

It's a very handy guide.
  15. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    +1

And then we have this, a Gibson with Jazz bass pickups:

[​IMG]

Gibson just doesn't even try when it comes to bass electronics anymore.

Thanks for sharing that wiring guide! I have quite a collection of schematics, and I've found yours quite useful recently.
  16. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Some of those really amusing wirings from your book include a battery just so you can have a visual indicator of which pickup is active through a set of LEDs - I think it's actually brilliant and can't wait to implement it somewhere. :D

Cadfael, do you take submissions for new wirings in the book? line6man, SGD Luthierie, tubby.twins and many others (including me) have had many chances to post custom wirings what people have used over the past years. I can only speak for myself, but I know I'd be glad to submit my wirings to include them in the guide.

It's either that or making a spin-off "Stealth's little book of weird wiring". :smug:
  17. Cadfael

Cadfael

Hi Stealth,

the "indicator LEDs" are "a kind of joke" - but you never know that's usefull for people.
    I find parallel wired JB bridge PUs more "unusefull" than LEDs ...

Many of my custom wiring ideas came from "forum demands", too!

Yes! I would like to add your and other ideas!
    Problem might be that I am not unemployed and a day has only 24 hours ...
    I also have to undestand what I am doing (to set my name under it) and maybe have to choose. But I am always open for "new" and good ideas / suggestions! And the tips have to fit onto one page.

I sometimes mention the "original author" of the idea - but not always!
    I would NEVER claim that the custom wiring were all my idea. I am mostly a collector and "evolutionist", no "inventor". Okay; many trim-pot wiring (especially 7/10 | 10/7 JB rotary) can only be found in my collection.

To redefine a U2 song ...
    "I fight for free knowledge and not for gain ..."

I haven't seen line6man or tubby.twins solutions yet, but SGD Luthierie already has my respect! New ideas are always welcomed!

Only bitter pill: I will stay publishing in German (as I am no native English speaker) and the solutions should (mostly) be passive - so that I understand them ...
  18. line6man

line6man

19. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Thank you! Much respect to you as well!
  20. Cadfael

Cadfael

Thank you line6man and SGD Lutherie!

Before someone else metions it ...
    I found mistakes in my EB-4 schematics and PU drawing today. :rollno:
    The WISYWIG wiring itself should be correct.

It will be corrected in 3.78 soon.