Cajons?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Journey55, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Journey55

Journey55 Supporting Member

I know there's a few people who play drums on here so I figured I'd ask but I was thinking about buying a Cajon however there's many different types of them online and I was wondering if someone could explain the different types in laymen's terms..thanks!

2. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Cajons?

Yeah, I know a little bit. I've been gigging on a cajon for over three years now.

Although there are tons of variations, the most is the standard box cajon on which you sit and play. There are snare wires inside (sometimes adjustable...) and various different tone woods are used.

Currently I'm playing a Meinl with Bubinga wood front, it's about a $200 instrument, nothing fancy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I played one a couple weeks back with a Heck Stick on it and loved it. If I bought a Cajon I'd definitely put one on.

http://vimeo.com/46360109

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

I wouldn't recommend buying without experiencing it and for certain you get what you pay for when it comes to drums/percussion. It's hard enough trying to get a good bass tone on a stringed instrument but once you get into drums or unvoiced instruments you're relying on very little margin for what drummers call tone or voice or warmth of an instrument but the truth is you're working with texture similar to the differences between voiced and unvoiced consonants in language

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Journey55

Thanks for the replies so far, I fully intend to try them (much like my basses and guitars) before I buy but it couldn't hurt to know a lot about them

7. Rio Chavez

Rio Chavez

I've been playing a Peruvian cajón since 2007. The difference between these and the more commonly seen Spanish cajónes is that the Peruvian ones do not have snares, but I love the corner slaps and much deeper bass sounds you get from the Peruvian ones. I play a Gon Bops Alex Acuña cajón. Check em' out! I've seen some Meinl and LP cajones out there where you can switch the snares off, but I doubt the bass tones from any of these are as satisfying as a Peruvian cajón. Every time I check one of these snare cajones out at the music store, I go home and hug my Peruvian one haha. To each his own though. YouTube, research and play a good variety of them before buying!

8. drummer5359

I did try quite a few before I bought the one that I'm currently playing.

They do vary a good bit. Gon Bops is making some great sounding instruments by the way. Try to track one of theirs down if you can.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gon-Bops-Alex-Acuna-Signature-Special-Edition-Cajon-109292680-i1529476.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CJ73ssSX_bsCFWQOOgodBEEAlQ&kwid=productads-plaid^43608947924-sku^109292680@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^27124236282

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I saw a bitchen gizmo at GC the other day. It's a kick drum pedal with a cable that runs to a remote beater to hit the cajon on the side. Then you get a cajon with snares inside and there's no longer any need for a kit.

[​IMG]

10. Journey55

So I went to the Sam ash and two guitar centers in my area and I ended up going home with this
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390496022.201036.jpg

I think I did fairly well, I got a case with it and a two year warranty (just in case), I like it so far and I jammed with my guitarist like right after I got it and it's not too hard to pick up (although I imagine it gets difficult the more complex you get)

Although I was wondering what kind of tambourine the guy playing Cajon is hitting with his foot is this video
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wsVFmCoykZ4

Thanks!

11. drummer5359

Very likely it is this. I have one, love it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Meinl-Foot-Tambourine-Steel-Jingles---Black-106550023-i2296384.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CLfpnpyblrwCFepQOgodugoA7A&kwid=productads-plaid^18283950120-sku^106550023@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^27490280802

12. drummer5359

You can see it on my foot in one of the above photos.

13. Journey55

So I've been playing my cajon for a while a I love it, and I'm going to start playing with my friend and his acoustic over the summer places and I'm looking to expand my sound so I was thinking about buying that foot tambourine, though I would like to know if there are any faults I should know/things I should get before that to step up my playing. Thanks!