1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

calif drought

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dieselbass, Feb 2, 2014.

1. dieselbass

dieselbass

Could be an interesting year. I live in the country and the farmers are out irrigating. Folsom lake looks like a pond. Friends are having their wells punched deeper.... my job is related to construction and there is worry that sites will be shut down as lots of water used in dust control. My company makes concrete block and pavers. 30 gallons of water per batch every 5 minutes (three machines) plus dust control for our yard ag 52 acres.

Not to mention city wells that periodically went dry last year.

Feeling some empathy for Texas and their drought.
  2. Humbled

Humbled

Obviously the only possible solution is higher taxes, burgeoning government, and a star-chamber of global regulators.
  3. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Sad, but I'm sure that's the exact solution that they will come up with. Every time I drive by Folsom Lake, it makes me sad to see it and I don't know what we're going to do once we get through the "rainy" season. That tiny bit if rain we got last week was nice but man, we need a whole lot more and fast.
  4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I have enjoyed the summer like winter here in SoCal, but I am really worried we are going to have to pay the price for it with water rationing this coming year.
  5. dieselbass

dieselbass

Word is farmers are alloted 5% of their water usage from last year. Plus variable rates for electricity might make for some expensive food this year.

Isn't every winter in So-cal like summer everywhere else?
  6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler Supporting Member

Yeah. Weather has been great, but I'm deeply concerned about how the next few years play out. I mountain bike pretty frequently, and I ride past a couple of SoCal reservoirs and since September I have watched them get noticeably smaller.
  7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Do you recommend that everyone step back and let the market decide?
  8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Did you guys in Davis get the rain we had in the East Bay and SF this Morning?
  9. Humbled

Humbled

No.

I recommend higher taxes, burgeoning government, and a star-chamber of global regulators.

We should probably throw a virgin in a volcano too.
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

The real test of drought is soil moisture and according to current maps, soil moisture in the bottom 2/3 of California is moderately to severely dry. that's some serious conditions considering how much the rest of us depend on California for our fresh veggies. Maybe it's time to consider those desalinization plants that were such a hot topic back in the mid 90's.

Hopefully ya'll will get some good rainfall numbers as we move into spring.

Oddly enough, this has been one of our wettest winters in 10 years. While winter is our usual wet season, this one has been one for the record books, but it comes on the heels of about 5 years of moderate to severe drought so it's about time for us.

Good luck.
  11. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

I would be concerned about fires this coming year as well.

Any rain in Vacaville today?
  12. Stewie26

Might be hard to find one here in California.
  13. MakiSupaStar

What are you talking about? We have volcanoes. Up north in Shasta... Oh, I see what you did there. :D
  14. sneha1965

Well played Sir, well played.
  15. dieselbass

dieselbass

Had a nice little rain starting around noon through the second quarter. Not enough to do much. Winter wheat is being irrigated now with alphalpha and the apple orchard that surrounds my place. First two cuttings of grass are going to be bad, cost of feed goes up, cost of milk and beef goes up.... and no, we're not all vegitarians in Davis, but it's a near thing.
  16. Stewie26

WOW!
    It's Raining! To who ever just threw the virgin in to the volcano, thank you for your service. .:hyper:

[​IMG]
  17. SunnModelT

SunnModelT

We got rain most of the day today in Vacaville.

2 Days ago the Solano Irrigation District (They supply all the water to Solano County) announced that they currently have a 3 year supply of water from their 3 water sources.
    Lake Berryessa, the Sacramento river delta and ground wells. The 3 year supply is based on normal water usage. Lake Berryessa is currently at 68% capacity. At least Solano Co. has no water worries at this time.
  18. MakiSupaStar

It's raining here in HB. Sweet.
  19. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

Buncha snow over here, but yinz gotta haul it.
  20. sneha1965

Excellent! Still, I hope the rain picks up this quarter for everyone.