Call me crazy but I'm thinking about buying this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SirMjac28, Nov 18, 2013.

1. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I ran across this today this poor thing is dying to be restored. I was thinking about grabbing it and letting johnk_10 work his Harry Potter on it any suggestions? is she too far gone?. I'm also curious how it sounds as is?

"This is a 1971 (serial # 306361) Fender Precision Bass that has been heavily modified as you can see. The only things original are the body, pickguard, neck plate and I believe the tone/volume pots. The neck is made by a company called Double Eagle. I can't find much info on them but it seems like they made Fender copy necks and bodies back in the 80's. Very high quality. The bridge is Badass and the pickups have all been changed. The bridge pickups I think are early patent applied for Dimarzio's. I don't know what the middle pickups are, I assumed they were original but they don't have grey bottoms. I believe the neck pickup is from a Martin EB-18 bass, sounds really good. As you can see, the routs are not that great but the body is so beat up it fits in with the overall look. There were 6 screw holes added to mount an extra pickguard which I threw away. You can fill in and touch up the holes if they bother you. This is what you'd call a player. I am assuming this was heavily gigged with. The neck is actually in clean condition, doesn't show that much use. It's straight, truss rod adjusts fine and the frets look really good. The bass is set up with perfect action, plays and sounds amazing! The pickups all work and sound good. The switch is 5 way, combines neck/middle middle/bridge. Not sure what the toggle switch does, probably a coil tap or something like that, seems to make the pickups sound weaker I keep it on the up position.Weighs 9.31 pounds, nut is 1 5/8th. Comes with a non original hard shell case. Actual item pictured "

[​IMG]
  2. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Looks like it was routed with a pocket knife!

Depending on the price, I'd be all over it. I wouldn't pay any more than $350 for it, personally. It needs serious, serious work.
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Me like.
    If electronics work good I would not change a thing.
    Might get some crazy tone out of this beast.
  4. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

That's some of the roughest routing I've ever seen! BUT, I kinda like it anyway. Like an abused puppy. It all depends on the price. I would like to have it also, but I wouldn't want to get overly invested in it!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Agreed! Very cool "rat rod" bass!! :bassist:
  7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I was thinking that too it might be some crazy tone beast that can't be duplicated :)
  8. nashman

nashman

What is the price? You could restore it to a "better/playable" condition instead of going all out. The nut looks like it may have been filed a few too may times!
  9. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

The fact that the truss rod nut is screwed so far into the channel would scare me off.

Other than that, it all seems pretty fixable for a skilled luthier. JohnK would definitely get the body right.

That neck though...
  10. SirMjac28

11. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

12. SirMjac28

The body is a 71' the neck a replacement I was thinking about restoring the body and waiting for a period correct neck and electronics.
  13. ejaggers

ejaggers

Okay you win....You're Crazy!!!

14. SirMjac28

I think you're right
  15. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Ah, makes sense, that neck didn't look right.

Good call.
  16. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

While there is some definite coolness to it…I love how the burst finish is wearing away, and there is a bit of an overall Sheehan vibe to it...no offense, but I'd pay maybe $200 for it, or $300 tops if I thought I could recoup some money by parting out everything that I didn't want to keep. If you liked it as is, then great, but if not, that is going to take a lot of time and money to repair.
  17. DannyBob

DannyBob

personally I don't like the modified look of it, but if that's you're thing I can understand why you would be attracted to it :)
  18. SirMjac28

It's so ridiculous I bet it actually sounds pretty good.
  19. SirMjac28

It would be a no brainier if it didn't have the bridge pickup that's nasty.
  20. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Id say no because of how much wood is actually missing but if you do get it please post sound clips so we can hear that thing before and after.
  21. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I have a '70 body with John right now. It was not as rough as that but it needed some serious re-contouring. From the pics he has shared with me so far, the work looks great.
    I also supplied a '72 neck and grey-bottom pups from '76, period-correct bridge, knobs & tug bar.

If you are careful with your shopping, you could have a nice "vintage" bass. 600 for that body is a wee bit too much in my opinion though. I do love the idea of "rescuing" it if you can afford it though!

You should send some pics or the link to John and ask him. He's very easy to deal with and will give the straight poop.