1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Call me crazy but...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by remainthesame, Feb 10, 2014.

1. remainthesame

remainthesame

I don't think I'm feeling the whole band forming/song writing/gig booking/show playing stuff anymore.

For as long as I have played bass, I have always wanted to jam with people. I spent every free second I had on bands. I loved it, it was my passion. I would join as many bands as I could, at one point I had 5 different bands fighting over me. It was great and the shows I have played will always be some of my fondest memories.

But a few months ago, the band I was in decided to call it quits. For the first time in my career, I was without a band. Which to me was unusual because I almost always had a backup band in mind. In a weird way, it was almost a relief. For the first time in many years, I didn't have to worry about band drama. I didn't have to spend every free second I had on practice or something similar.

I figured this was natural after over a decade of playing seriously without a break. I figured a month or two away from the scene would probably do me some good, even musicians need vacations some times. However now I have a serious band asking me if I would like to join them. My knee jerk reaction was to say yes, but after I had given it some thought, I don't think I want to go back to the scene. At least not yet. If I change my mind I will tell them in the most professional way I can. I've never been one to play games, it's unprofessional.

But is this something any of you have/are going through? Is this going to be a whole new world of casual jamming for me? Or do you think I will want to rejoin the scene eventually?
  2. OEW3

OEW3 Supporting Member

Yeah, I took a few years off awhile back. It was REALLY good for me. Still played by myself a bit, but not too much. Eventually, I got the bug again, and once more I find myself in a band situation. The drama and BS it's still there, but the break I took makes it easier to deal with. Also, the freedom of knowing I can stop anytime I want and life will still go on is nice. Take a break, it will be fine, I promise.
  3. LowBC

LowBC

Disclosures:
    Builder: www.MavourneenStrings.com
    It's all cycles - I was away from playing in bands for a couple of years. That's not my life today but it needed to happen then.

Breathe out; the music will be there for you when you're ready for it.

good luck!
  4. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

In 25 yrs of gigging I have taken 4 breaks, each between 6 months and 18 months.... moving cities, studies, or burnout.

Keep your gear - the bug is bound to return. ;)
  5. remainthesame

remainthesame

Oh yeah don't worry about that, Even if I never join another band, I don't think ill ever stop playing for me. I still get an hour or two of playing in every day. The difference is that now its because I want to. Not that I have to because I have to learn the song, or because the gig is coming up and I need to make that one part tighter. It's just for pure enjoyment.
  6. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

I took two years off... When I enlisted in the USAF, I sold all of my gear because I figured I wouldn't have time to do the whole band thing anymore. I was right for the first 2 years... between training and other obligations, I had no time to dedicate myself to a band. Now I find that I have a lot of free time between deployments so I'm in 3 bands. For those two years, I did no playing except for one time in a music store while I was in San Antonio. I really think those two years gave me a new outlook on the instrument... my style is so much different now than it was before I enlisted which is apparently a good thing as I am much busier music-wise now than I have been at any point in my life.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman

YOU'RE CRAZY!!!!

Feel better?
  8. remainthesame

remainthesame

HAHAHAHAAHA yes much better. :p