Call me crazy but...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by remainthesame, Feb 10, 2014.

1. remainthesame

remainthesame

I don't think I'm feeling the whole band forming/song writing/gig booking/show playing stuff anymore.

For as long as I have played bass, I have always wanted to jam with people. I spent every free second I had on bands. I loved it, it was my passion. I would join as many bands as I could, at one point I had 5 different bands fighting over me. It was great and the shows I have played will always be some of my fondest memories.

But a few months ago, the band I was in decided to call it quits. For the first time in my career, I was without a band. Which to me was unusual because I almost always had a backup band in mind. In a weird way, it was almost a relief. For the first time in many years, I didn't have to worry about band drama. I didn't have to spend every free second I had on practice or something similar.

I figured this was natural after over a decade of playing seriously without a break. I figured a month or two away from the scene would probably do me some good, even musicians need vacations some times. However now I have a serious band asking me if I would like to join them. My knee jerk reaction was to say yes, but after I had given it some thought, I don't think I want to go back to the scene. At least not yet. If I change my mind I will tell them in the most professional way I can. I've never been one to play games, it's unprofessional.

But is this something any of you have/are going through? Is this going to be a whole new world of casual jamming for me? Or do you think I will want to rejoin the scene eventually?
  2. OEW3

OEW3 Supporting Member

Yeah, I took a few years off awhile back. It was REALLY good for me. Still played by myself a bit, but not too much. Eventually, I got the bug again, and once more I find myself in a band situation. The drama and BS it's still there, but the break I took makes it easier to deal with. Also, the freedom of knowing I can stop anytime I want and life will still go on is nice. Take a break, it will be fine, I promise.
  3. LowBC

LowBC

Disclosures:
    Builder: www.MavourneenStrings.com
    It's all cycles - I was away from playing in bands for a couple of years. That's not my life today but it needed to happen then.

Breathe out; the music will be there for you when you're ready for it.

good luck!
  4. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

In 25 yrs of gigging I have taken 4 breaks, each between 6 months and 18 months.... moving cities, studies, or burnout.

Keep your gear - the bug is bound to return. ;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. remainthesame

remainthesame

Oh yeah don't worry about that, Even if I never join another band, I don't think ill ever stop playing for me. I still get an hour or two of playing in every day. The difference is that now its because I want to. Not that I have to because I have to learn the song, or because the gig is coming up and I need to make that one part tighter. It's just for pure enjoyment.
  7. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

I took two years off... When I enlisted in the USAF, I sold all of my gear because I figured I wouldn't have time to do the whole band thing anymore. I was right for the first 2 years... between training and other obligations, I had no time to dedicate myself to a band. Now I find that I have a lot of free time between deployments so I'm in 3 bands. For those two years, I did no playing except for one time in a music store while I was in San Antonio. I really think those two years gave me a new outlook on the instrument... my style is so much different now than it was before I enlisted which is apparently a good thing as I am much busier music-wise now than I have been at any point in my life.
  8. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    YOU'RE CRAZY!!!!

Feel better?
  9. remainthesame

remainthesame

HAHAHAHAAHA yes much better. :p