1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Called some kids "Groovy" today

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mellowinman, Jan 21, 2014.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman

From The Pigman, by Paul Zindel:

I think she really goes for me the way she laughs a little when she talks to me and says I'm a card. A card she calls me, which sounds ridiculous coming out of the mouth of an old-maid English teacher who's practically fifty years old. I really hate it when a teacher has to show that she isn't behind the times. Besides card isn't really up-to-date anymore, which makes it even more annoying. In fact, the thing Lorraine and I liked best about the Pigman was that he didn't go around saying we were cards or jazzy or cool or hip. He said we were delightful, and if there's one way to show how much you're not trying to make believe you're not behind the times, it's to go around saying people are delightful.

There was this kid on YouTube ranting about Rush being too good to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and I just loved his sarcastic, cocky attitude. I followed a few of his rants, and ended up friending him on facebook. Over time, I ended up friends with a bunch of his friends. These people are late teens, and some early twenties. They are into metal, and they can be funny, and they can be stupid, and they can be disrespectful and amazingly insensitive. I like them very much.

They were saying they wanted to be dead by the time they were fifty, and I gave them my big rant about how I'm fifty, and in the best shape of my life, and talked about loading in and out shows, and how I could still kick their asses, etc.

I told them I liked them very much, and expressed the fact that I think they are "groovy." I'm telling you man, there aren't many people going around telling 19 year-olds they're groovy anymore, and maybe their should be.

Or maybe their shouldn't be; I don't know. But it reminded me of that scene from the Pigman, that I quoted above. Maybe I should've just told them they were delightful. Except they aren't. That is NOT the word for what they are.

Groovy?

Yeah, baby.
  2. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

I still say "groovy". I also still say "dig it" and variations of it.
  3. hover

hover

I pepper the old-speak with the nu-speak. Often.

Anything that gets my kids lookin at me crosseyed is a gold-star on my day.

I do this with my interns at work too. It's so freaking fun, my tongue poking out the side of my cheek the entire time...I have great peripheral vision, I know it's working.
  4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

Groovy is just one of those words that will never go out of style. Whether it's a hippie, mellowinman, or Bruce Campbell saying it, it's awesome. You can say it without being ironic, which you can't do with other old school words like boss, gnarly, or radical.
  5. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

Far out, man.
  6. Shanebo

Shanebo

Ditto.

And, regularly refer to friends, coworkers, or bandmates as "cats".

Shane
  7. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

cool daddy O
  8. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Man, that's far out but I don't dig them young cats vibe. Not cool to not jive on an older cats lingo. I dig their perspective though, lack of psychedelia; bummer.
  9. mellowinman

mellowinman

In 1980, I was 17. Many of my peers were into stadium rock, partying just to "get wasted," and my generation shall forever be known as the IDIOT generation, in many ways. However, I usually gravitated towards the older kids; the more "deep" hippie types, who talked about astral projection, and being one with the universe, and all that stuff.

Milos Forman's 1979 film of the musical Hair was my favorite, and I dragged a bunch of my friends to the theater to see it. We saw Midnight Movie screenings of Woodstock, and Jimi Plays Berkeley, and Let it Be, and Gimme Shelter, etc.

The "cool" kids at my school used all kinds of words and expressions that are long dead, and if I made a film that accurately portrayed the era, people would think I made a lot of it up.

They would say "abs," pronounced more like "aps," meaning "absolutely," as a cynical term for "sure, I believe you." They said "awesome" a lot. (early Valley Girl slang in Minnesota?) They said "rad," which I'm pretty sure pre-teens said only shortly thereafter. Attractive girls were "foxes." (SNL? Steve Martin and Dan Akroyd?)

So I had no problem adopting the earlier vernacular. My group of friends were probably considered geeks for using hippie slang, such as "far out," "groovy," "outta sight," and we peppered every sentence with the f word, creatively infusing it into the jargon as best we could.

One of my favorite cultural moments would be from about 1987 or so. I had cut my hair short for a waiter job I had, and I went out on a date with this young lady from California. She liked Chris Isaac, and he was opening for the Thompson Twins, and while I enjoyed Chris, I had to insist we leave halfway through the Thompson Twins, as they were the most insipid, brain melting fluff I had ever experienced. (the nineties hadn't happened yet)

I was wearing a leather vest, and she said she liked me, but my clothes were "so dated."

This girl was wearing an eighties "big hair" style, LEGGINGS, and a polka dot mini skirt when she said this.

2013, I still wear leather vests sometimes, but I'm guessing she wouldn't be caught DEAD in that outfit!

I still have fringe jackets, dashikis, and even a pair or two of bell bottom jeans to this day. I remember being nineteen or so, wearing platform shoes, bell bottom painter pants, a flowy dashiki, and having several feathers in my hair, as I was approaching the all-time high score on the Defender: Stargate video game. A crowd of pre-teens (and some of the parents) had gathered around me, as I had been playing on the same quarter for over an hour. Every time something wouldn't go as I planned, I said a swear word, and the parents were getting visibly agitated.

The kids were all very curious what my secret was, and I really didn't think it was in my best interest to share the fact that I was actually FLYING THE SPACESHIP because I was tripping my brains out, and the only thing more intense than the video game was my level of paranoia at being watched by ALL THOSE STRAIGHT PEOPLE.
  10. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Speaking of lingo, you guys ever watch "The Wild one"? The hip dialogue in that is hilarious. I'm sure even the actors were laughing at having to say it.
  11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Hello lamppost, whatcha knowing?
  12. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

This thread is the bomb! :bag:
  13. bassteban

bassteban

M-Man, you are Mellonious, the missing Freak Brother.
  14. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Ya should have told them they were "hip" or "really in the scene." That would have really had them scratching their heads. (Oh crap. Did I just totally date myself?)
  15. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Young people's vernacular. Every generation has one. The previous generation struggles at times with the newest kids lingo.
    Some stand the test of time, some are quite dated...
  16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

I dont use groovy often, but I still say 'dig' all the time.
  17. bassinplace

bassinplace

I like dig and I admit I use it regularly. It's a cool word, speaking of which, is "cool" even a slang word anymore? It seems to me to a part of the regular vernacular. Like whenever someone's agreeable to something they say, "that's cool". It's kinda weird to think that used to be an unusual word.

"Rad" on the other hand, I never say. Because I went out on a date once with this girl I really had the hots for, big time. It was our first date and I used the word "rad" in a conversation. This was about 15 years ago. She just looked at me funny and laughed and said something to the effect of, "I can't believe you just said "rad". Things never ended up going anywhere between me and that girl, but the word "rad" was immediately and permanently dropped from my vocabulary right there on the spot. Haven't used it since. I seem to hear people using it fairly often these days and it always makes me cringe a little.
  18. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I'm jiggy with that.
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman

If that had happened to me, I would, sometime later in life, when I was with a very hot woman who was totally into me, and while I was doing something she really liked a lot, I would tell her how rad she was, just to get past it.

:D

I love to contrast my life as a frustrated young man with a completely satisfied middle ager.
  20. mellowinman

mellowinman

Oh, and I have to add, I love when one of these ridiculously young girls tries to tell me I'm "pretty hot for an old guy," or says something flirtatious, and I get the chance to explain to them that I could never be attracted to them because they're just too young.