1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Calling Aguilar DB680 owners

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Hey, I was just wondering about all you other fellow 680 owners and your settings for this preamp? I'm just curious to what all possible tones you can dial in and such. Please tell me all about it! Tell me what bass you use, what music you play, even what lvl of volume you play at, and of course your setting on the preamp + what power amp you have and cab. Thanks!

Heres my settings...

I use a warwick Corvette 5string (i have bass and treble at the mid setting) into my 680. I have a BBE sonic maximizer too, I run the high and low settings on that at 2 o'clock each. Now for the preamp, I have the bass at 11o'clock with the deep switch off. the low midrange parametric pot at 880 with the cut boost knob at 9/10 o'clock and the high mid parametric knob at 10 o'clock (i cant remember the frequency it on) and the boost/cut knob is at 10 o'clock. for the bandwith on the high and low mids is set around 9 o'clock (grabing quite abit of surrounding frequencies to the ones i isolated) treble is around 11 o'clock with bright switch off, sometimes on. My master is all the way up with my gain at like .5 I go into a peave cs 1400 power amp (bridged 1400 watts @ 4ohms) into an ampeg pro-410hlf cab. I play at rather loud average volumes (nothing INSANELY loud) but if i have to I have the head room to turn up. I play in a rock band playing all kind of stuff. I'm mainly going for a nice fat clean sound that has some bite to it and can be heard clearly through the mix. I think this accomplishes this pretty well but if any of you have better suggestions I'm totally willing to try them! Thanks

So tell me your settings and what youre going after.
  2. Randy W Lopez

Randy W Lopez Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist-Genz Benz
    A real responsive crowd out there. I know there's a number of user's.
    I'm curious myself as I have one on it's way and any advice is good advice.
  3. pedulla1

pedulla1 Supporting Member

I just saw this thread. I have the deep switch at +, bass knob at 2 o'clock, low mid channel at 860hz with level at 2 o'clock and bandwidth at 11 o'clock. Hi mid is 2.1khz with level at 2 o'clock and bandwidth at 11 o'clock. Treble is at 1 o'clock and treble switch on. Gain is at 10 o'clock and master to suit room and band. I also use the passive switch.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I generally set mine flat, and use the parametrics to adjust to the room (if necessary). I think of this as one of my "clean" preamps, so I keep the Gain down fairly low and use mostly the Master for volume control.

Great preamp!

Tom.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator

generally pretty flat, maybe the deep switch at + depending on bass/room. And maybe some low mids around 400hz.