calling all Peavey owners

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by twc1313, Oct 30, 2013.

1. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

I'm going to get a new rig. Originally thought I'd get a Gk mb combo... But felt the tone was too modern and jangly. I'm trying to keep under $800. What do you think of ..

1. Peavey tour 450 w/ a headliner 15" cab $625

2. Peavey TNT combo. $599

3. Peavey max 115 300w combo $299
  2. mixamatchi

mixamatchi

Buy used. My buddy got a tour 700 for $250. Spend your dough on the best cab you can get. Again, buy used and get more bang for your buck. Also, as a fan of old peavey gear, old TNT combos are nearly free on craigslist. They are nearly indestructable, and sound ok. Even better with a speaker upgrade.
  3. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

I would do 1 and add a second matching cab later.

Cheers!

MJW
  4. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

I love the mark bass heads.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. twc1313

Thanks, I think i'm going to do this, as it is the best deal and power with the best tone shaping options. I hear that head with two 15's can really move some air!
  7. Garden Variety

Garden Variety Supporting Member

#1, or similar. The 450 is a great bass head for the $$$, but I have not used any of the Headliner series cabs. In general I find the Peavey combos big/heavy, though usually good values, and prefer the separates. I did, though, just play a T-Max 15" combo last weekend in a backline, and found it plenty loud enough (small club, loud rock band, vox only thru PA) and easy to set-up quickly.

Jon
  8. twc1313

Good to see that the 450 is the right choice.

OTOH, how would the Carvin BX500 stack up against the Peavey Tour 450? New I could get either rig for the same price.
  9. twc1313

Final showdown

peavey tour 450 with peavey headliner 15 cab $630

or

carvin bx500 with carvin 4.10 cab $716

I play alternative and classic rock with a Ray 34 w/ rounds and a Pbass with quarter pounders and chromes
  10. ack

ack Supporting Member

11. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Stick with the Peavey stuff. If you follow the threads here at TB, you'll notice there are very few posts about reliability or issues from their new stuff. That says a lot. I own a bunch of 20+ year old Peavey stuff. I would really like one of the new heads and 115 cabs. Good luck and keep us posted! :bassist:
  12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Look for a used T-Max. ;)

I'd stick with the Tour head and 15 cab...so you can expand/change things up in the future if you want.
  13. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

I have a Headliner 210 cab that I've been real happy with. I use it at home as quiet practice amp and gig with it with my GK400rb almost maxed out. It's been holding up well. Peaveys are clear and reliable, but don't have much tone of their own. There's an old shop with lots of old Peavey gear and you can't tell if the amps or cabs are bass, keyboard, guitar, pa or what. They're just peavey. plug in and turn it up.
  14. deathsdj

I think you will like the sound of that Peavey cabinet a lot better than the Carvin.

I'm kind of a Peavey guy though. I picked up a Peavey Firebass head a while ago and just found two Peavey 115 BVX (8Ohm, single 15" Black Widow) cabinets to go with it. I should have it all together by the end of the week!

Cheers!

MJW
  15. twc1313

Thanks to all fellow TB'ers. I went with the Peavey Tour 450 head and the headliner 15 cab. I also threw in a Epiphone Thunderbird IV- classic Pro with the order...oops. Looking forward to practice this weekend!
  16. deathsdj

All good stuff. enjoy it bro!

Cheers!

MJW
  17. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Congrats! Welcome to the few but proud! Peavey ROCKS!!!!:bassist: