1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Calling BC Rich Experts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by socialleper, Oct 4, 2009.

1. socialleper

socialleper

I've got a old American Made BC Rich ST that I'm trying to figure out something about. The closest guess I can make about it's age is 1988 (sn BCI1739, although I'm not sure about the "I", it could be a poorly stamped "1") and I'm trying to figure out what kind of wood it could be made of. The bass is super heavy (easily 10 pounds) and dense. Does anyone know what woods were being used for this model around that time?

[​IMG]

Thanks.
  2. Lakland55

Lakland55 From the topping with no stopping!!! Supporting Member

I own a refurbished '89 or '90 ST III (Class Axe era) bass and mine is basswood with maple veneers front and back, weighs roughly 9 lbs.

Hope this helps...
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

PM Talkbass member Lorne as he truly is an expert on BC Rich instruments. He is a great guy and always willing to help. I haven't seen him around in a while but I stay out of the Basses forum mostly so maybe I just missed him. You can also find him at the BC Rich Players Forums
  4. Lorne

Lorne

Ok,just went and checked the 1986 spec and pricelist,the body was Maple $999 back then
  5. socialleper

socialleper

Were you able to figure out the year from the SN?

Is the weight of the instrument due to the maple tone wood and was this common for this type of instrument?
  6. Lorne

Lorne

On The Unofficial B.C.Rich serial number Archive,we have a ST III g***ar serialed BC118xx which was reported to have been made in 1986

However,dating bolt on BCR's is damn near impossible,because,nobody at the factory really cared enough to record them,and the neckplates were just grabbed randomly from a large box on the assembly table,never in numerical order

Yes,Maple is heavy as hell,and a bright tone wood

I have a Gunslinger bass,same as the ST,but with a reverse headstock,and that's heavy,but not as heavy as my neck thru ST bass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)
  7. Midas

Midas

Disclosures:
    Endorsed by Tecamp and Lefay basses
    What model do I have here? It only says Platinum series. Is it a ST Model?
    It sounds killer 'though passive!

Attached Files: