Calling Cesar Millan. Cesar Millan to TBOT, please.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Okay, so I moved to Arizona recently from Pennsylvania. My trusty little [del]pain in the ass[/del] Miniature Dachshund named Nico obviously came with me. He's 8 or 9 years old (he was a shelter rescue, so I'm not entirely sure). He's in perfect health, and had a physical before I moved.

Wulp, since moving, he's been messing on my floor. Pooping, peeing, it doesn't matter. I think he'd spew cerebrospinal fluid on the floor if he could. He's primarily done it when no one is home, but he has peed right in front of me as well. Most recently during the superbowl. Apparently he's a Broncos fan!

I'm rather sure this is a behavioral issue related to the significant life changes he's endured in moving. New house, new climate, etc. The odd part is he didn't do it (to my knowledge) for the first month or even longer since the move. Over the past few weeks it's been pretty consistent.

My question to the pet pros out there is what can I do to rectify it. I pondered killing him, but that would be messy. So, any help would be appreciated. I mean, how can you say no to this face???

[​IMG]
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I see what you did there. :D
  3. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

He has excellent handwriting for a dog.
  4. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

:smug:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

I can't lie. He didn't write that.

The cat did.
  7. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

That explains it, the cat has been making the mess and framing the dog.

lowsound
  8. Immigrant

Immigrant

He may stop if you show him that he's now being humiliated on an online forum.

Just kidding. That picture is fantastic!

Good luck with your dilemma.
  9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Sounds to me like your problem is that you are living in a Far Side cartoon.
  10. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

No real advice? Tough crowd! ;)
  11. Tennesseemick

Tennesseemick Supporting Member

Read Karen Pryor's _Don't Shoot the Dog_.
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    separation anxiety due to unfamiliar surroundings would be my guess. It probably took a while to manifest. Does he have a 'safe place' to go to (covered crate / indoor dog house / etc)? Have you tried leaving some music on for him while you are gone?
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I have a few ideas....
    Take Nico to the vet. He could have a medical problem affecting bladder control.
    It may be separation anxiety/stress.
    Perhaps the previous residents of the house had animals, and Nico is marking his new territory.

-Mike
  14. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    James, good to see you back. And yeah, what James said.
    Another physical might be in order.
    And giving him extra positive attention - do things with him so he gets your attention for "doing right" (even if it's just walks or playing ball or whatever) rather than getting attention for doing wrong.
  15. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

The move may be related, especially if he lived with you in one place the whole time you lived in PA. It's weird that he waited a month to start doing it though - is it safe to say you haven't really settled into a new routine since moving out west? You know how they love their schedules! Could be he thinks you arent spending enough time with him and he's just finding a way to express his displeasure with said move, but it could be more. You mention he's possibly 9 years old, which means he's in his 60's, relatively. It's possible he's becoming incontinent and just cant hold it the way he used to.

I'd recommend a vet checkup first to make sure nothing is physically wrong with him. I'd also say to invest in some Nature's Miracle to clean the stains where he has messed - their acute sense of smell will usually draw them to repeatedly go in the same spot - sorta like, "if it smells like a toilet, I'm pissin there!" Other than that, you need to walk him more - a tired dog is a well behaved dog.

Great dogshaming pic, btw...
  16. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Yeah, that was my thought as well. He essentially has run of the whole house. I don't crate him. He spent about a month in the shelter several years ago, and crates or any enclosed spaces really scare him, so I'd never do that to the poor little turd. I can try the music playing. But what about his few episodes of going with us here, usually with the TV or stereo on?

I can take him to the vet again, but he had a comprehensive physical in the last week of November, just before my move. And, it's not just his bladder he's not holding. I think that rules out anything like a UTI, or marking his territory, right? Do dogs poop to mark as well?

I'll try to focus more on positive attention. That will be tough, as he really is spoiled rotten. When he messes, I scold him. Not by yelling, and *never* hitting. Just the tone of my voice. He bows his head in shame. Twenty minutes following that, I'm back to spoiling him all over again.
  17. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

The routine has been consistent, but it's about to change. Since moving, I've been unemployed. Therefore I've been home with him a LOT. This coming Monday I finally start my new job. So, both myself and my fiance will be gone during the day. This was the way it was in Pennsylvania, and he *never* messed in the house. Maybe he just hates me and I'm around TOO often! :p
  18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Sounds like he may need a crate training refresher course. Give him free run when you are home and pay attention to him, especially when you are about to leave. Part of the routine should be taking him out to his usual place of "business" just prior to crating. Crate him for a while when you leave, then let him have run of the place. If he takes advantage, right back to the crate when you are gone. It won't take long for him to get the message.

The trick is occupying him as much as possible when you are home, and making sure to associate being locked up with indoor crapping when you are gone.

Unlike old guys (like me) old dogs can (re)learn new tricks.
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Since he can't talk, maybe this is his way of saying "Get a job slacker". Since you did, maybe this will all go away next week.

-Mike
  20. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

What would Cesar Millan do?

[​IMG]

Just tssst him until it stops. Tsst probably works on every dog. It worked on the dog that wanted to eat both me and my bicycle.:D

Reminded me of the phonemonal game: Don't shoot the puppy
  21. Steve

Steve

he's feeling insecure and wants your attention. Dogs will act out in desperation figuring "if your kicking my @## at least your paying attention to me."

If you lean on him, it will reinforce the behavior.