Calling G&L aficonados

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninerfan, Dec 20, 2012.

1. ninerfan

ninerfan

I have a G&L L2K that I love the tone of, but not so much the look and feel of the neck. I even put it up for sale, but I just realized what it would take to make me love the bass. A different neck! I very much prefer the neck on my Tribby L2500 because of the satin finish. Although the neck on the L2K is beautiful I don't like the look of it on that body and I just don't like playing gloss finish necks. Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think that the vintage tint on the neck makes the bass seem all the same color and detracts from the beauty of the body. I think if I could get a L2K neck with a rosewood fretboard I think it would really bring out the contrast in the quilted maple and I would prefer the satin feel.
    So good people of TB do you think anyone would be willing to trade necks with me? The upgrades on mine make it more expensive, but I'd be into a trade straight across. I think this neck would look amazing on almost any L2k but mine. It has the ultralite G&L tuners. Should I hold on to those or trade hardware with the neck? Anyone have some photoshop skills that could throw a maple/rosewood neck on my bass?

I realize this isn't the forum to try to make a trade, I'm just wondering if you guys think it's a good idea or stupid and if you think anyone would even consider it.

While I'm at it I also would like to swap out the rosewood/maple neck on my Tribby L2500 for a maple/maple neck. I just don't dig Rosewood with a black body. Anyone intersted?

2. ninerfan

ninerfan

Anyone with opinions on how this bass would look with a rosewood/maple neck?

3. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I think the rosewood would look good. Why not swap around the necks on the two basses, and lightly sand the one with the maple board to take off the gloss finish?

4. tkozal

tkozal

I think it has a very distinctive look, I would not mess with it, its gorgeous! Dont mess with it, sell or trade it as is.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

That's just beautiful as is. Man. I'd take it to someone who knows their stuff and have the neck refenished in satin if that's what you like.

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I think the body detracts from the look of the neck :)

You can easily knock down the gloss finish on the back of the neck with some #0000 steel wool. It will essentially turn it into a satin finish.

8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Please don't change a thing.:) It's up to you on sanding the back of the neck but I would never buy a G&L after somebody sanded the neck. I know I'm overly picky though. If you decide to sell The G&L, Id be very interested.

Gerry

9. Warhawk

Warhawk

You should be able to get a nice US rosewood/maple L2000 neck plus $150 or so for your neck if it's in really nice shape. Be advised that G&L bass necks come in several different versions.

10. ninerfan

ninerfan

I pulled the necks off of both of my G&L to see what this bass would look like with a rosewood fretboard. Here's the pic's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My tribby's a L2500 so I could only set the neck on top, but you get the idea. I'm kinda diggin' it. It makes it so the whole bass doesn't look orange. I'm just not into the vintage tint with the honeyburst finish.

Your opinions?

Oh, and I put up an ad in the classifieds to trade the tribby neck in the photos for one with a maple fretboard.

11. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    this!

12. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

The original is beautiful. I like it better.

Most of us have had basses that look awesome to us, but aren't very playable. It's a constant dilemma leading to more GAS. Is it possible that it's not just the neck finish that's bothering you but the overall neck profile? No matter how killer the appearance of the bass (or quality of the tone), it's got to feel right in you hands in hour two of the gig.

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

No way on earth would I separate that neck and body. Sell it as is and buy an L2000 you like.

14. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

+1. Match made in heaven.

15. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

IMHO the rosewood just doesn't go with the body at all. It doesn't pick up any color or design characteristic from the body. It's kind of like putting a mat on a picture. You want the color of the mat to be in the picture somewhere even if it's a small amount. The repetition of the color is what makes them go together.

I agree with you that it would look better if the maple were lighter, but at least the highlites of the body pick up the color of the neck (or vice versa). And the fact that they are both highly figured helps them to go together better.

16. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I have to agree that the rosewood doesn't look great now that I've seen it. I think an ebony board would be nice, but I don't know if that's even a potential option.

17. ninerfan

ninerfan

I did strip the finish off of my SX fretless because I didn't like it and finished with a wipe on poly finish. I'm very pleased with the results, but the citristrip I used also stripped off the decal. I didn't mind with the SX, but it would be a shame with the G&L.

18. ninerfan

ninerfan

I can appreciate that. It's been for sale in the classifieds for $900 plus half of the shipping. I haven't been bumping it or pushing for sale as I am on the fence. Shipping to the East coast could be $70+ and with paypal fees I would end up with less than $850. I don't know I could get as nice of a bass for that $ where as I could replace possibly replace the neck and be happy. Of course I could replace the neck and still not be satisfied. :meh:

19. jfh2424

jfh2424

I would suggest playing the thing. You are the owner of an awesome bass, these L2000s rule.

John

20. ninerfan

ninerfan

This is a fellow TBers bass. I found the pics in the G&L appreciation thread. I like the look of the maple neck a lot more without the vintage tint with the honeyburst. I still kinda like the rosewood too though.:meh:

Attached Files:

21. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

$900 is a very fair price for that bass. I'd keep bumping the thread for a while. Why not, it doesn't cost anything?