callous question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dragzole, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Dragzole

Dragzole

So my callous fell off on my picking hand and now theres this pink baby soft skin. Is this normal? Whats going to happen? I can't use my middle finger anymore.

2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

You're just going to have to start working in the callous again. Don't over-do it and get blisters. I tend to play enough until my fingertips start to get a bit sore, when trying to build callouses, then leave it until the next day.

It's perfectly normal. Depending on how much playing you do, you could permanently have callouses or they could come away quite regularly. I work as a dishwasher, so I have to stay quite vigilant on keeping them hard.

3. Precision101

Precision101

Try this product called new skin. It's basically superglue for your skin.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Try to work up the new callous using a light touch. And then try to keep a light touch if you can. In 25 years of playing electric bass regularly, gigging several times a month, I have yet to have callouses on my plucking fingers. But, I also use a bit of fingernail, too, so it's a tad different for me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

Wait for the soreness to subside and then start playing on it again to build up the callus. I've had times when I've had to keep playing on the sore during hard gigs and it's just blistered and got really painful. When songs are too fast for one finger, I use my 3rd finger to help out. Either that or a plectrum. Anything to get through the gig.

Mark