Callowhill Basses? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Majestic, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Mr. Majestic Swamp Ash Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I have recently been introduced to Tim Cloonan's work at Callowhill Basses and I have been just blown away. He has several models that are very unique, but the ones that give me GAS pains the most are his newest J-Bass ventures. I believe he calls the J(unk)-Basses. :D
    What do you guys think? Have any of you played any of his instruments?:help:
    http://callowhill.net/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. cnltb

cnltb

To me the shape doesn't work( aesthetically ).
  3. ProgRapture

ProgRapture

They look fantastic, but I'm not a huge fan of superjazzes.
  4. Mr. Majestic

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I used to be a big fan of single-cuts and high end basses but here lately I really have been shifting over to the "super jazzes" out there. I am ordering a Nordy from Nordstrand and currently own a Devon Daimond J. I really dig the Jazz basses, but lean more toward the modern looking ones. I wish I could put my hand on one of these Callowhills, I think Tim builds for several other makers out there and I believe it would be a great instrument.
    I kind of dig the headstock, also.
  5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I met Tim Cloonan at a bass builders' showcase in Philly a couple of years ago, which included Matt Pulcinella. I tried a Callowhill Infini four string unplugged. It felt amazing, and can't have weighed more than about seven pounds. I tried a fiver too, but don't remember much about it, probably because I wasn't interested in fives. They were beautifully made, no doubt about that. I spoke with Tim for awhile about pickup design, his building experience, etc. He is a very nice guy, whose confidence and professional attitude made a positive impression.
  6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Tim is the real deal. He's very talented and incredibly detail-oriented. His instruments are wonderful creations.
  7. tlcbass

tlcbass

Dudes, Tim Cloonan is the real deal. Everything I've ever played from him has been awesome! I've currently got my hands on a fretless MJ5 and it is amazing. Plus Tim is a really cool guy, very easy going, very reliable.
  8. Mr. Majestic

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Tim is a straight-up nice guy who is a great luthier. I sell ash to him and have grown to appreciate his ability. I sell ash to many different builders and take interest in many of there instruments. I try not to get carried away too much and go on a buying spree, but I am genuinely interested in his basses and appreciate all of your input. I think just from looking that his basses are great, and would like more input of players that actually play them.
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Media:
    yes Tim is the real deal and very cool person, I consider him one of my great friends in the industry.
  10. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Why doesn't he list the J5 on the website? There's a price listed, but I can't find any other details.
  11. Mr. Majestic

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I think he will update his site shortly. Here is a link to his myspace account, it shows several J's, check them out in the pics.
    http://www.myspace.com/callowhill
  12. roadkill2309

roadkill2309 Supporting Member

Dude, with that logo and stuff, I always find his basses to look really hip-hop/gospel-esque.

Not a bad thing, just an observation.
  13. Mr. Majestic

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I really dig that headstock, but I think I like that logo more. Really separates his from the others out there.
  14. flipper_gv

flipper_gv

look great, must have great vintage tone by looking at the pickup configuration
  15. Matt Fat Cat

Matt Fat Cat

The basses look great... for that price range, you can get many different luthiers to build a bass. For $2700, the bass better have me jaw dropped and drooling or... I'm gonna design the bass to my spec's. If these basses are "your thing"... I say buy 2 of them!
  16. Mr. Majestic

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I believe $2700 is for the flagship DH6. In the world of custom instruments, I don't think that's too bad. I mean if you compare that to a MTD @ $5000, a Ken Smith @ $4000, and a Fodera @ $9000. I have owned many high-end instruments and just like life you get what you want or you get what you settle for. Either way, I believe a luthier at the top of their game should be able to charge whatever the market will support. I know many luthiers that could build me something for less, and I will probably get them to in the future, but I don't think $1850 for a custom, "to my spec", bass is too much for these J-Basses.
  17. rwelcome

rwelcome

Tim is a great human being. His stuff is well thought out, and he really focuses on detail. If I didn't make my own stuff I'd totally consider a Callowhill. He has some models with woodburning on the sides of the headstock that looks amazing.
  18. jeremyr

jeremyr

I've played the Jazz V prototype thats pictured above (it was built for a friend of mine) and the DH6.

Top of the line quality and light as a veather. That Marcus Jazz has more bottom then a big woman at a county fair. It really is just ridiculous. The playability along with the tonal response is just nuts.

The DH6 has to be the lightest and easiest 6 string I've ever played. I relaly can't say enough good stuff about the callowhill basses.
  19. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

I think I am making a phone call tomorrow! Those basses look nice!
  20. Mr. Majestic

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I checked out his website and saw the woodburning on the headstock, really cool and unique. I also checked out your site and you have some really amazing instruments. You know, I really am glad we moved out of the dark ages of bass design and contruction. I mean, just 25 years ago we had like 3 unique choices, all of which had production and profit as their main driving force.

Thanks, this is exactly the input I am looking for and precisely what I thought.