Can a bass amp be too loud?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JoeBbass, Dec 26, 2013.

1. JoeBbass

JoeBbass

So here's the deal. I'm looking at an amp on ebay and the owns says the reason he's selling it is cos it's too loud for home use. I own an active bass, this amp has gain, master volume, an active input and is 150W. Because of this I think it wouldn't be too loud but then again I'm a relative newbie.

Would it be too loud with EVERYTHING turned way down?

I like to play at minimum volume for the comfort of myself and others.
  2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

All gain and master volume knobs on all amplifiers have zeros as well as tens. You can turn down so soft even you can't hear it.

Here's the problem with bass: resonance. You might think it is really, really soft. But if it is just the right frequency or room geometry, it can resonate and be heard where you least expect it. The best thing to do is to "de-couple" the amplifier cabinet from the floor by casters, or setting it on a chair or amp stand, and angle it diagonally in the room to avoid resonances and standing waves as much as possible.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No, you can turn the volume down low.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

IF the seller likes distortion from overdriving the preamp then it could be "too loud" for their needs.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

With the seller's logic he must think there are only two positions for the throttle pedal in his car:

-Foot off the pedal
    -Pedal mashed to the floorboard!

:meh:
  7. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Maybe the guy in the music store just didn't tell him what the knobs do?
  8. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

More accurately the seller should say the amp is more than he needs for his purpose but of course he could simply turn it down. Maybe he feels someone needs this amp to get the full benefit of it and desires a smaller comp act practice type amp . Personally my only bass amp is 500 watts and 2 15s and I can play it softly as needed.
  9. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

To be fair, I have a little 20w guitar amp with a 10" speaker, and it was too loud (a Mesa Subway Rocket). The taper on the volume knob was either whisper or roar, before you even got to 1. I had the Mesa guys put a Master pot with a more gentle taper and developed a much more useable range of "quiet" settings. Prior to the swap, the volume knob had a hair trigger that made it very difficult to set for apartment level volume.
  10. NWB

NWB

So says his wife.;)
  11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

There was a venue I used to play where I would use the Active pad on one of my heads. I didn't do it because my bass was clipping the front end or anything. I did it, because with the efficiency of my cab, my amp was still blowing out the FOH even with my volume on 1. Kicking the pad in gave me room to turn down the volume knob.
  12. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

+1
  13. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

14. Sartori

Sartori

Too loud in a literal sense? No, pretty much all amps out there have volume knobs, and lots have both input gain and master volume controls.

Too loud to get the sound he's after (such as power amp distortion) in the house might be a possibility, though.
  15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Its rare, but yes. For example, some high power guitar amps don't have a smooth volume control knob, so the volume jumps from to low to, to loud with no happy between volume. With that said - probably not.

EDIT: For example ~
    +1. Yep
  16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The cynic in me says it could be a marketing trick; "too loud for home use" might make people think it's great for live use. It's 150 Watts though, so that may not be the case.
  17. AciDBatH666

AciDBatH666

He probably means that in order to get the sound/tone he wants, he has to push the amp to it's limits. Which is too high of a volume for his tastes. You'll find that when you're playing with a lot of metal guitarists you'll need more power to compensate for the ones that "NEED" to crank their amp to the max to get "their tone".

I have a Gallien Krueger 1001rb. In order to get the Gallien Krueger "growl", I have to push the amp pretty hard (which means that the volume is MEGA HIGH with 700 watts). Instead of doing that, I have a Sansamp Tech 21 RBI generating most of my tone even at low levels.
    The other way around this is to get the GK 700rb. Less watts means that I can crank it higher to get the amp to push harder (to get the growl), and it won't be as loud as the 1001.
  18. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

gotta be this
  19. jdb72

jdb72 Supporting Member

It is only too loud if you are a guitar player or diva lead singer!
  20. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

+1
  21. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Fake reason for selling. He doesn't like the amp because either it is NOT loud enough, is too heavy, too ugly, too big, is not as cool as the new one he wants or likely some combination of several of the above.