1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Can a G&L L2000/ASAT sound like an SB-2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dasparks2004, Dec 4, 2012.

G&L L2000 vs ASAT vs SB-2

Poll closed Feb 2, 2013.
  1. G&L SB-2

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. G&L L2000

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. ASAT

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. dasparks2004

dasparks2004 I LOVE TUBES

I have a G&L SB-2 and I'll start by saying I LOVE IT. I tend to run everything full up and it is the perfect tone--for most of what I do.

Now everything was going just fine until my interest was peaked in the L2000 and ASAT G&L's based on their versatility and that agressive bite like tone. There have been a few times where having some more cut through the mix would be very nice.

So, I'm curious if the glorious heaven like tone I get from my SB-2 is also hiding somewhere within all the knobies on the L2k and ASAT circuitry? Or do you think I'll be kicking myself in a few months if I ditch the SB-2?

Also, if you weren't me, which would you go with?

Thanks for your help.

2. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

I have a Tribute L-2000 that I absolutely love. I've played an SB-2 one time before and my impression was that the sound was thinner and harsher. The L-2000 still has a lot of bite, but the tone is much more musical. Plus, it's ridiculously versatile. In addition to all the switches, the volume and tone knobs are extremely responsive. I've had mine for six years and I'm still pulling new tones. I have a hard time wanting another bass other than a hollow body. I've heard the ASAT is very similar in tone, but I have no personal experience with it.

3. ljazz

ljazz

You won't find the SB2 tone in the L2K. The SB2 is much more focused sounding. The SB's sit and punch through the mix.... the L2K plows through it.

4. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

The L-2000 has a lot of sounds but not the SB-2 sound. I personally prefer the SB-2 sound to anything in the L-2000. Stick with your SB-2.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

if you do the single coil modd to the L2000 you could but not the same.....

But you could buy the L2000 and the Sb2 and have best of both worlds.

7. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

OK, sorry, it´s a PJ. And I have modd my L2500 for paralel / sc / series for each pick-up.

8. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

9. Wallace320

Wallace320

I'm also keen to tell you active enhanced/parallel/both, 'cause if the tone you grab as for my title is more clean and focused than if in series, it's much more so if you enhance contour on 3rd switch

But it's the only attempt to reach a P/J passive approach... so
    you're near, not at it

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Supporting Member

I have had all those basses. I suggest looking for a good L2K to add to your SB-2. While there's a ton of sounds invthe L2K, you're only going to get that SB-2 sound from an SB-2.

11. dasparks2004

I appreciate all the feedback. I was really hoping the L2000 and asat would do the sb-2 sound. Maybe I'll get an L2k or ASAT and try it out for awhile. You know, see if I miss the sb-2. Maybe I'll fall in love with the L2K.

12. Wallace320

Wallace320

It's particular
    A sound of its own
    Not even a proper Precision

But I know you'd love an L2000
    I do.

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. dasparks2004

No love for the ASAT, all L2K huh? Is this because of the neck dive issue?

14. Handyman

Handyman

It's a pretty neck divey instrument. The two are the same aside from the body shape, so get what you want.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The SB2/SB1 are kinda Precision oddballs: brighter and more focused than any other P-thing.
    I sold off all my L-Series stuff.
    -I wasn't using them, they were all four string
    -too woolly and un-defined for me.

The G&L MFD-P has a lot of mix-cutting power.
    I don't have one of those anymore either, but, I do have two Fenders loaded with the G&L MFD-P.

If you dig that specific thing, you won't find it in the L-Series stuff.
    Perhpas the new M-Series would be closer, but I haven't been there.

16. dasparks2004

Well it is settled. I was gonna get an L2000, however, I found and ASAT that has nearly no neck dive issue and bought it instead. I have had a couple jam sessions with it already and it sounds SOOOO GOOOOOD!

So for the time being, I'll live without the SB-2. Up for sale it goes. Thanks for the recommendations fellas. I'm quite content with the decision to buy the ASAT.