Can a neck twist be fixed?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheGreatSealof, Nov 26, 2012.

1. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

I recently purchased a Epiphone Accubass for $30. I travel a lot and wanted a beater bass to disassemble and pack in my luggage. I am not concerned with theft or damage.

The neck however has a slight twist to the E side, high action from the E, lower to the G. It's playable and I don't want to invest a lot of money fixing the twist.

Can a neck twist be resolved to a straight neck without replacing the neck?

2. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

If its just a beater, Id get it as close to intonated as I could and live with it.
    There are ways of pressing and forming wood, but its likely to be beyond the cost of your bass to have done and a big risk to try it your self.

3. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

I don't think so -- I've heard quite a few guys say that even if you could "untwist" the wood, it will just go back that way again after a while.

You might be able to have the frets shaped to correct for it, but that would probably cost as much as a new low-end aftermarket neck (or other used neck). And if it shifted any more (or again), that kind of change might just make things unplayable.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Only with great difficulty. It's be easier and cheaper just to buy a new neck. I had to do that for my '93 American Precision Deluxe Plus. I've since sold it, but have a standing offer to buy it back.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. It's a beater bass for travel only. I can live with it. I will trash it when no longer needed for travel.

7. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Another vote for not fixable.
    Feasibly anyway.

The best method I've used is to remove the FB, and re-attaching it after a leveling.
    A cruder method, or if there's no separate FB is to defret, level it, and refret.
    The last, but not least is the fret-leveling lethargytartare talked about, but that requires jumbo frets in most occasions.

All that is obviously general talk and moot in this case as a BO neck is very seldom repaired since the replacements are plentiful for most designs.

Regards
    Sam

8. ics1974

ics1974

You can try this without removing the fretboard and heat. Maybe just let it stay straight for a week might help.