can a non turbo car's ECU be reflashed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Icey101

Icey101

I know with bikes, you can put a tuneboy or power commander on it to do ECU retuning, but is there something you can do it yourself with your own family car to get it to perform a little better? Assume it is out of warranty and has an ECU with fuel injection.

Edit: i am specifically talking about tuning or reflashing the ECU, can be on any car
  2. ReviveBass

ReviveBass

Most cars can get some aftermarket love for a little more performance. Usually not much gain to be had, but it depends on the car!
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

What kind of car?
  4. sjeverett

sjeverett

Check out BlackBearTune way better than a generic store bought tuner. Its taylored to your exact vehicle.
  5. SamTheButcher

SamTheButcher Yis, actually.

6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I know that '08+ Subaru Imprezas can be tuned via ECU flashing. (Yes, even the automatic trans, non-turbo) The port is right under the steering wheel, I believe.

My '09 impreza was just reflashed due to a recall regarding re-starting the engine while it's cold.

I'm not sure about other manufacturers than Subaru.
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If there is any kind of aftermarket performance parts for it I'm sure there is a programmer of some sort for it.
  8. MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Yep flashing is a form of modding for performance enhancements for cars. Usually by piggyback ecus or remapping the stock ecu.
  9. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Depends on the car. What's your car?
    Companies that reflash an ECU or have an external device to work with a car's ECU have to spend R & D to figure out how to remap the original tune for more performance or economy. That takes a lot of time and requires access to a car to do that. And time and buying every single car out there equals a lot of money. So, most companies will spend their time creating products for popular cars or cars that are have a demand for ECU reflash/remap.