1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

can a non turbo car's ECU be reflashed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Mar 13, 2014.

1. I know with bikes, you can put a tuneboy or power commander on it to do ECU retuning, but is there something you can do it yourself with your own family car to get it to perform a little better? Assume it is out of warranty and has an ECU with fuel injection.

Edit: i am specifically talking about tuning or reflashing the ECU, can be on any car

2. ReviveBass

ReviveBass

Dec 4, 2013
    Most cars can get some aftermarket love for a little more performance. Usually not much gain to be had, but it depends on the car!

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    What kind of car?

5. sjeverett

sjeverett

May 10, 2013
    Check out BlackBearTune way better than a generic store bought tuner. Its taylored to your exact vehicle.

6. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually. Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
  7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I know that '08+ Subaru Imprezas can be tuned via ECU flashing. (Yes, even the automatic trans, non-turbo) The port is right under the steering wheel, I believe.

My '09 impreza was just reflashed due to a recall regarding re-starting the engine while it's cold.

I'm not sure about other manufacturers than Subaru.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If there is any kind of aftermarket performance parts for it I'm sure there is a programmer of some sort for it.

9. Yep flashing is a form of modding for performance enhancements for cars. Usually by piggyback ecus or remapping the stock ecu.

10. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Depends on the car. What's your car?
    Companies that reflash an ECU or have an external device to work with a car's ECU have to spend R & D to figure out how to remap the original tune for more performance or economy. That takes a lot of time and requires access to a car to do that. And time and buying every single car out there equals a lot of money. So, most companies will spend their time creating products for popular cars or cars that are have a demand for ECU reflash/remap.