Can a pot be replaced with a switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Espresto, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Espresto

Espresto

I'm interested in installing a 4 knob Audere preamp with an additional Z-switch in my Dingwall, which has 5 knobs.

Can I replace one of the pots with a switch directly, or are the holes different sizes?

I'm not sure if it matters, but here's a picture of the cavity:
    [​IMG]

2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

The switch uses a 1/4" hole, which is a little smaller than the one used by most pots, I think. However, Audere includes spacers (http://audereaudio.com/Pro_Z.htm#ordering):

"Hole counts: The Z-Mode switch always requires 1 hole in addition to the control hole count. For example, the hole count is 1 (for the Z-mode)+2 holes for controls, so 1+2 is 3 holes total. A Z-Mode switch hole is often added to a bass but the switch will fit in most smaller pot holes (we provide spacers which helps). The LED for the battery meter also requires a small hole which is commonly added on the back side to the cavity cover but can be added to the front of the bass.

4. jefkritz

jefkritz

Media:
    Albums:
    IME switches are slightly skinnier than pots, but will fit in pot holes, as they generally have the same size washers. this likely varies for specific pots and switches though...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

It doesn't matter if the holes are differently sized.

If the hole is too big, use a large washer on the switch.
    If the hole is too small, ream it out to size.

7. RobbieK

RobbieK

If washers don't do the trick, and you have to fill and redrill a hole, it's really a very simple process. Simply mask the hole from the front (use low tack masking tape on vintage instruments), then fill with two-part car panel filler (called "bog" or "plasti-bond" in Australia) from behind. Use tooth picks or a small flat screwdriver and apply to the edges first then work towards the centre. This is to avoid air bubbles. Slightly over fill and smear the fill surface flat. In 5-10 min, it's hard and you can remove the tape and redrill.

TBH, it's so easy, that I usually do it anyway so the shakeproof washer on the inside actually grips something. It also stops the front washer from distorting.

8. line6man

line6man

Or you can just plug it with a dowel. Why go to all that trouble?