Can a single dtdp switch coil switch 2 pickukps?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Envincibal, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Envincibal

Envincibal Supporting Member

Title says it all... I don't want to drill any additional holes in my bass, and was wondering if a single switch could act as a coil tap for both neck and bridge pickup. I know that each pickup coil could not be selected individually (both pickups would be series/single/parallel based on the switch).
    Thanks!

2. line6man

line6man

Coil tapping and coil splitting from series or parallel to a single coil all require a single pole of switching. Thus, you need two poles to do two pickups on one switch.

Series/parallel and series/single coil/parallel require two poles per pickup, and thus, require four poles to do two pickups on one switch.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

so yeah, one DPDT will split two pickups, but it won't series/parallel both of them.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

The answer to your question is no. It can't be done with a dpdt switch. However it can easily be done. It uses an on-on-on type 4 pole switch.

To see how to do it look up the single coil "K-mod" On G&L L2X00 basses.

That switch changes the mode of both neck and bridge pickups together.

I call this "Leo's last circuit" and I think it's a great way to get a variety of tones out of any two coil 4 wire humbucker pickups which the MFD pickups are.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ex-tension

ex-tension

7. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Can you do a push/pull volume for one pup and use the switch for the other?

8. Envincibal

Envincibal Supporting Member

I want to change out the stock preamp and add an Audere pre (3 stacked knobs), and I don't think a push/pull pot can be used with the Audere. I'll probably use two switches and drill a second hole - nothing I haven't done before.
    thanks!

9. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn

You don't have to drill second hole, you can do that with one 4 pole on/on/on switch, as line6man pointed out. Alternatively you could do outer coils/series/inner coils with one 2 pole on/off/on switch. Personally I always liked this more than series/single coil/parallel switch and I also dislike 2 switches on my basses. It's the last schematic on Bart's wiring diagram page: