Can a sound guy control an onstage amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Leedleleedlele, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

So this morning i was playing at church. I practiced and soundcheched with my Eden WTDI preamp pedal/DI. The sond man complained that "the bass signal is jacked up" but this was because my volume too high and my bass eq boosted to high and overdrove the the house speakers. I adjusted the levels to fix it and he didn't complain. Then he said i had a "buzz" coming out. When I came up to play I went to adjust the compressor before I started and saw that I was plugged into a regular DI. When my terribly sterile tone came out, just as every week, I was a quite upset as 1. They didnt bother asking about it and 2. I just spent $150 on a great quality pedal, there should be no problem. Is there anyway i can have an amp that they can control the levels on from the back so I can have the tone i want, or any other way to fix this problem?
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Mic your cab.
  3. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

If the bass was too low will it still overdrive the PA?
  4. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

I don't think overdrive is the word but will it be a problem
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. High Camp

High Camp

Or a DI/line out from your cab.
    It always have your Eden sound.
    By the way, do you use a cab or are you totally dependant on p.a.?
  7. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

I have a small fender combo amp, the eden was a preamp pedal with a DI output, but I'm looking into buying a nice cab... I might be able to get them to let me use it but I don't think they really understand the value of tone, the only reason our guitarist can mic his amp is for the distortion, and they still don't like it
  8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

OP when you ask a question, it's helpful if you describe your signal chain so we have an idea of how to help.
  9. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

OK it's my bass to the DI to the snake to the board to the pa
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

And where does the eden fit into the picture?
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Talk to the soundman.
  12. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

I have an eden preamp/direct box. That's what he complained about and replaced with a pain old DI BassmanPaul
  13. vickde

vickde Supporting Member

A bit of reading on this thread may help:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/eden-wtdi-direct-box-preamp-693230/

Basically, the output of the Eden is very hot. Set your output gain to be the same as your bypassed level, and you should stop over-driving the front end of the PA. I read that 9:00 on the gain control is a lot.

There's a ground lift on the Eden. Did that not take care of the buzz? If not, and if the sound guy's DI isn't buzzing, check your cables.

One more thing - if your bass is picking up buzz (from the lights? small churches are known for cheap dimmers), the compressor will make it louder.
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    The sound guy shouldn't be touching your gear.

Not sure I understand your question but it sounds like you are asking if there is any way for the sound guy to control your amp remotely from the board. The answer is no. If there is noise coming through the PA when you were using the DI, the sound guy did you a favor by running you direct.
  15. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

The ground lift did not help apparently (I didn't even hear it), I don't know if his DI was buzzing or not, our church is held in a school gym so lighting and compressor may have gave a lot to do with it, and yeah the master and gain were at 12 o'clock that was really helpful. How would I fix that? Turning down the compressor.
  16. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

It's a Church gig, your tone doesn't matter. More than likely you'll just be buried in the mix anyways.
  17. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

Well I was somewhat buried in the mix after he switched the boxes but not before... he's actually really good about not burying me my tone is just bad
  18. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

OK, so he told me that the buzz didn't go away so I'm going to check my cables and such now that I know it wasn't my pedal, he said he'll let me try using it again
  19. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

The Eden WT550 amp head has a knob in the back to adjust the output level of its builtin DI and gives you the beautiful Eden tone that your WTDI is designed to emulate. This is great for helping the sound man with gain staging.

There happens to be one for sale in classifieds right now (by me) :)
  20. bobcruz

bobcruz

12 o'clock on the Eden DI's gain and master is an extremely hot signal (could be enough to drive a small speaker!), but your soundman's mixer should have a pad on it (the one at my church is 20dB). I don't know why he couldn't have padded your signal. In any case, work with him at sound check to keep your signal at a level his board can handle.
  21. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

One of my clients has a device coming on the market soon (sorry I can't divulge it at this time) that will allow remote control of an amp directly. Keep your eyes peeled for it.