Dismiss Notice

Welcome to TalkBass.com!

Register your free account to unlock features including:

  • Post messages or start new discussions
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Upload images and video to our gallery
  • Enter free giveaways
  • Get rid of this notice, and much more :)

Can anybody tell me what material with this tone cap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Yahboy, Jul 10, 2013.

  1. Yahboy


    May 21, 2008
  2. NaH


    Mar 14, 2010
  3. Looks like a cardboard tube, so it is probably film based.
  4. bassbenj


    Aug 11, 2009
    Note the one that looks like it on the right of the row of caps in the last link:

    "mystery vintage gray cylinder (now identified- Mullard Mustard polyester film/foil),"

    Which seems to confirm it as a polyester film capacitor (which as you can see was dipped in some kind of goo to seal it.) A film cap is the right kind to use for tone circuits. Stable values and low loss.

    Generally in my tone circuits I use the Yellow ones a couple to the left which is essentially the same capacitor. I use them just because I have a drawer full of them.
  5. Sponsored by:

  6. Yahboy


    May 21, 2008
    thks for reply.

Play guitar too? Become a founding member of TalkGuitar.com