1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Can anyone give me some wiring help?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chauncy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Chauncy

Chauncy Supporting Member

I wanted to get some assistance before I did something stupid with the soldering gun. Here is what I have. Two Delano mc5 pickups and a glockenklang 3 band 4 knob (Vpp, blend, T/B stack, mid).
    I'm a little unsure with the pickup wires. The Delano diagrams aren't to helpfull. Would I just be using the white and uncoated wires in this setup? And, as far as the jack connections does it matter which one is which for the wires?

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386552047.249021.jpg

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Hmm...well yes the jack has to be wired the correct way. There is a battery connection, an output, and a ground so they all have to be right, otherwise nothing will work because the preamp won't get any power. Refer to the Glockenklang instructions.

As far as the pickups, every wire has to go somewhere. There will not be any unused wires. Are you using toggle switches for series/single/parallel, or a blade switch?

3. Chauncy

Regarding the jack, there are only two connection points but the glock wiring diagram indicates a jack with three connections. Regarding the switches I was not going to use any since I did not think this preamp had the capability for that.

4. line6man

line6man

You shouldn't be doing anything at all with a soldering gun. Those are the wrong tool for the job. You need a lower temperature/wattage pencil iron, so you don't fry your parts.

The output jack must be of the TRS "stereo" variety. A "mono" jack will not work, unless you want the preamp hardwired to draw current continuously. The hot and ground must be wired correctly, as well, otherwise, you will have a ton of hum.

If your preamp has one input, then pickup selection switching schemes are completely irrelevant to the preamp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yeah you need a 'stereo' jack, which should have came with the preamp. They are normally prewired with the battery connection and everything.

Yes you can do the pickup switching, it really has nothing to do with the preamp. That's a function of the pickups.

7. Chauncy

Ahh, now I know what's wrong. The pre did not come with a jack, I had this one laying around. And I think I do have a switch or two laying around. I'll have to drill extra hole(s) in the body. Thanks for the assistance. I'm pretty sure I got it figured out now.

8. Chauncy

Thanks, I did not mean to say soldering "gun" I do use the pencil iron type. And, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

9. Chauncy

One more question and I think I'll have it all worked out. Regarding the switches, I found a 3way (on/on/on) switch.

Delano has wiring diagrams for the switch:
    single coil (rear coil)/series/single coil (front coil) OR
    single coil (rear coil)/parallel/single coil (front coil) OR
    series/single coil/parallel

Would I be using one switch for both PU's or do I need two switches?

10. line6man

line6man

Most people want separate switches, unless there is a space issue. In any case, the first option can be done with a single DPDT Center-Off switch, while the other two would require 4PDT On/On/On switches, externally-jumpered to DP3T switching patterns.

11. Chauncy

Thank you. I decided to do the smart thing and I took it to a local bass guy who is going to do two switches and finish all of the wiring, etc. Even though I'm comfortable doing it, I just feel that this is one of those "just because you know how doesn't mean you should" moments.

Thanks for all of the help.