1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can anyone identify this old Japanese bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronin614, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ronin614

ronin614

Saw this in a secondhand shop today and I have no idea what it is. It plays pretty well. It has a narrow neck and there are no identifying marks on it They're asking $400.
    Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

2. ronin614

ronin614

More pics

Attached Files:

3. ronin614

ronin614

And one more because I can't seem to uploa more that one picture at a time.

Attached Files:

4. ronin614

ronin614

More

Attached Files:

5. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Looks like something out of a '70s department store catalog...not worth $400.
  6. knigel

knigel Supporting Member

Zim Gar (or ZimGar) is the brand, so if you google that it might help. There's some stuff out there, but it looks like it was a NY company importing Japanese guitars (and drums? Lots of drum info for some reason).
  7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

$140, maybe. $40, yes. Not great, and only kinda terrible in a sad but harmless way. Save your money unless you have a nostalgic need for your long lost childhood bass.
  8. ronin614

ronin614

Saw the zimgar but thought it was just something put there by a kid. Called the guy to tell him what it was and he said he's sticking at $400. Unless he finds a sucker, he's going to have that for a LONG time.
    Thanks for the input folks.
  9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Not sure about the brand but I'm certain there are one too many zero's in the price! You can find those no name 60's-70's Japanese basses on CL and other places for under $100 frequently.
  10. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

I lost out on a single-pickup version of this today because I got distracted and forgot to monitor the eBay auction. RBS started a thread on a similar bass a few days ago.

This bass, with no issues, in 2014, I would say might be worth $150. $400? No way!

Most folks would say this is a Teisco, but there is some speculation that this particular type of Teisco was made by Kawai. These instruments saw their highest profile in the
    mid-sixties; seventies gets us into the lawsuit era instruments.

Let's just agree to identify all such instruments as these as "badged" Japanese basses. I have a bass identical to this one in every way, except where this bass says Zim Gar
    mine says Encore.
  11. bassteban

bassteban

I had an identical bass- gave it to a bud as it had a broken headstock(you could see thought the crack/split). It was actually playable- just barely- but I was afraid to touch the neck or HS for fear it would disintegrate. Beyond that, it seemed poorly constructed. I don't mind a cheapo as long as it plays fairly well, but this one was nothing special
  12. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

It looks pretty much like a Teisco.
  13. GregT

GregT

Some Decca basses had those same pickups and rocker switches.