Can anyone identify this P Bass Body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kevcala, Feb 18, 2013.

1. kevcala

kevcala

Hello Talkbass,

Recently this bass body was posted on my local Craigslist for $50 including pickguard, pickups, and electronics fot $50. I currently own a MIM Fender P Bass neck and was thinking of buying this body and trying my first refinish.

The person selling it said he acquired this bass already painted yellow and doesn't know the make. Can anyone tell what make this body is by looking at the pic?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. RS66LB

RS66LB

not at all sure however that bridge reminds me of a Kay bass Fender copy

3. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

Could i maybe get a picture of the pickups, assuming they're original?

Looked in my fender book and:

Given the extent of the roundover, placement of holes, and bridge design it look to be pre 1957 reissue or original P.

Read this to see what i mean about the two saddle bridge:

1361276683837.jpg

4. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

However, i just realized that pre 1957 fender did not make the standard p pick guards but rather tele style, meaning that this bridge and pg combo never existed and that body is not a fender...

Max Pratt

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    the heavier roundover reminds me of 80's Kramer, Schecter, ESP, and Chandler

7. Nomad98

Nomad98

It's definitely not a Fender body, look at the shape of the body where the upper horn meets the pocket. All Fender P's have the pocket extend out from the body producing a little curve outward from the upper horn. This body seems to have more of a 90 degree curve then go straight down to the pocket? If that doesn't make sense just look at some Fender bodies on eBay and you will see what I am saying.

You may be buying a plywood body with a crappy bridge and god knows what for a pickup. There are a few bodies on ebay that are well in the $50 range and you would know what you are getting.

8. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Does it have bevels?

If not, it may be a squier II

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Some cheapo brand, probably not worth the $50 for a full refin project.