1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can anyone play the eagles please be home for christmas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funkybass, Dec 2, 2013.

1. funkybass

funkybass

I decided to work on ear training. I had never transcribed a whole song before. I started with Mariah Carey's all I want for christmas is you, then decided to tackle please come home for christmas. I finally got it done and checked it with a online tab. I can't believe how off some parts off the tab are online, and it got a 5 star rating. They have the opening few lines notated a b c# e f# e. My ear isn't that great, but I'm hearing a c# e f# e a. There were a few missing notes and mess ups as well. Can someone who can play the song confirm my ear. I know the online tab is wrong. It probably took me 3 or 4 hours to transcribe the song, but I'm glad I did. I've got a whole list of songs to transcribe now.
  2. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

3. funkybass

funkybass

In that video he is doing a hammer on from b to c# before the e, but my ear doesn't hear that on the recording. My ear isn't the greatest though.
  4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Try listening to the Charles Brown version. It's the original.

Nice old school R+B groove. (recording in Cincinnati too BTW)
  5. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Write out what you transcribed. I just learned it from Songsterr and another tab very similar to the Songsterr one with a few things different. I went through them and I think I more went with the non songsterr one basically on the run right before A G F#...

If you are talking about the songsterr and say that you know it is wrong, I think you have to try again. I played along with it and again besides 1 note on a change, it is right on.

Here is the one that I wrote from those tabs and changed the format to how I play. I don't like having to look at the bass and move my hands all over the place like most of the tabs are written. Also I sort of combined the stuff. The second time through is in the (parenthesis) and the third verse moves from the asterisks. Since I don't fully have it memorized, I may be reading this on stage this weekend lol.

Code:
     |           |Bells will be ringing... Choirs will be singing...|            |           | 
    |----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
    |----------------------|----------------------|--------------4-------|----------------------|
    |----------------------|------------------4---|7-----------------7---|----------------------|
    |(0------------2---3--)|5---------------------|----------------------|5-----------------5---|

|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
    |7---------4-----------|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
    |--------------7---4---|5-----------------5---|5-------------4---5---|6-----------------6---|

|----------------------|**--------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
    |----------------------|**--------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
    |6-------------7-------|**----------------4---|5-------------7-------|----------------------|
    |------------------0-4-|5---------5---7-------|------------------0---|5---------4-----------|

|--------------4---3*2-|2-----------------2---|2(/7)---------5--6(7)-|7---------------------|
    |2---------------------|----------------------|----------------------|(5)-------------7(5)--|

|           Friends and  relations...|            |           |            |           |  
    |------------------4---|5-----------------5---|5---------------------|5-----------------5---|
    |5---------5---7-------|----------------------|------------------5---|----------------------|

|5-------------7-------|----------------------|5h7---------------7---|------------------7---|
    |------------------0---|5-----------------5---|----------------------|5-------------5-------|

|7h9-------7-----------|----------------------|--------------7-------|----------------------|
    |--------------9---7---|5-----------------5---|5---------------------|5-----------------5---|
    |----------------------|----------------------|------------------5---|----------------------|

|5---------------------|----------------------|--------------5---6---|7---------------------|
    |--------------5---6---|7-----------------7---|7---------------------|----------------------|

|**--------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
                           |**--------------------|----------------------|4---------------------|
                           |**--------------------|4-----------------4---|----------7-----------|
                           |5-----------------5---|----------------------|----------------------|

|----------------------|----------4-----------|----------------------|----------------------|
    |5---------6-----------|7---------------------|----------7-----------|--------------5---6---|
    |----------------------|----------------------|7---------------------|5---------------------|
     |           |            ( s o l o ) |                                    
    |----------------------|----------------------|--------------4-------|----------------------|
    |7---------------------|--------------------4-|7-----------------7---|------------------7---|
    |-------------*0--*4---|5-----------------7---|----------------------|5---------------------|

|7h9-------7-----------|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
    |--------------9---7---|5-----------------5---|5-------------4---5---|6-----------------6---|

|----------------------|----------------------|--------------2---3---|4---------2-----------|
    |6-------------7-------|----------------------|4---------------------|----------------------|
    |------------------4---|5-----------------5---|----------------------|----------------------|

|0---------1-----------|2---------4-----------|----------2-----------|----------------------|
    |----------------------|----------------------|2---------------------|0---------------------|

6. funkybass

funkybass

The one I found was on ultimate guitar tabs.
  7. funkybass

funkybass

I'll make a video tomorrow and show what I tabbed out. I think it'd be easier to do it that way.
  8. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Get anywhere with this?
  9. ChessTiger

ChessTiger

:hyper:I can play it!!!!!!!:hyper:

I played it at the family thanks giving dinner. My son and I were the "entertainment"; and that was the last song played by us.