1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Can Anyone Recommend a CNC Operator in Rochester NY?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by knigel, Feb 23, 2014.

1. knigel

knigel Supporting Member

Hello all,

I need to enlarge the control cavity on a Thunderbird body I'm working on to accept the wiring harness for a G&L L2K. I feel like (I know for a fact) if I try to freehand with my router it will look like poo. Can anyone recommend a shop or person with a CNC machine in the Rochester area that could quickly bust this out? I'm also willing to listen to other methods to accomplish this task.

Thanks in advance!

2. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    First make a routing template. Then rout the bass using a template follower bit or template collars. Freehand is not a good idea.

3. knigel

knigel Supporting Member

Thanks. Normally, I wouldn't shy away from a template, but in this case I think it will be too challenging with the cavity already there. It's hard to explain--I should post pictures tomorrow.

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Get you a cheap CAD program, draw the new cutout (to scale of course), print this on sticky back paper, stick to a sheet of .375" or .5" lexan, and cut you a template.

Use some boss mans (two faced) tape to secure the template to your body, grab your router and get busy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I would bring it to a luthier. You need a set of skilled hands and a router. A CNC seems a little overkill.

7. knigel

knigel Supporting Member

Yeah, a CNC is probably overkill--I just thought it would be super fast.

Can anyone recommend anyone in western NY (I travel from Syracuse to Buffalo, and all the way through the Southern trier) for this job?