1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Can anyone recommend a compression pedal that adds some punch? (attack)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HunterBurgan4Me, Feb 16, 2013.

1. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

I used to have a line 6 bass amp and one of the only things I liked about it was that the built in compression on it added a real punch to the sound, a very dynamic pick or finger strike without overpowering the actual note.

I'm looking for something less than £100 ($155)

If you want an example of what I'm talking about try this clip:

I use a combination of slap and pick and fingerstyle. I'm quite an aggressive player so without compression my styles are more or less even but occasionally when I'm playing through someone elses amp at a gig my slap parts aren't quite compressed enough and i'm kind of hoping to find something that I can stick on my pedalboard that has both qualities!

Thanks for your time guys I hope I wasn't too confusing!

2. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

As with all compressor questions, I defer to Bongomania. I have linked his website here: http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml

I play a similar style on occasion, and I find the Markbass Compressore tightens up my tone, nips the peaks cleanly (without distortion), and maintains the attack. It is also dead quiet. I upgraded from a Boss CS-3 which also has nice attack, but made a little to much noise for my liking.

3. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Unfortunately it's a bit out of my price range, thanks for your input thought It's great to check out all those reviews. Anyone else has any suggestions?

4. Hoon

Hoon

The DOD Milkbox has a knob for attack, that said, it does colour your tone. I do like the colouration it adds though. You might be able to make the EHX steel leather or an old Boss EH-2 work for you too. Those are an attack expander and enhancer though, and won't fill your compression needs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sounds like a slow attack but a high ratio--meaning strong/heavy compression, but it takes a few milliseconds to kick in, leaving your pick attacks uncompressed. This also requires a fast release time.

Good luck finding a comp pedal in your price range that has both attack and release controls, with a high ratio. The closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is the Carl Martin Classic Opto: http://www.thomann.de/gb/carl_martin_classic_opto_compressor.htm

7. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Thanks for the help man :) i'll check it out

8. rubbadubdub

rubbadubdub

Any but it depends how hard you throw it. Berhingers are heavy enough cheap enough and you may even get to use it for compressing your signal til it breaks. When it does it will make you even angrier so that you will launch it with even more force. You will need to aim at the target /victim with some degree of accuracy for maximum punch though.

9. liveburning274

liveburning274

What about the MXR Bass Compressor? This is a fantastic compressor that gives you access to attack and release ratios at a fairly budget price.

Not sure what they are running for in the world of the pound though...:meh:

10. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

between £100 and £150 :) i'll check it out

11. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Don't try the mxr m87 not if your looking for punch. My micro red witch grace compressor did WAY better

12. 45acp

45acp

BOSS bass limiter enhancer (lmb3 i believe). You can get exactly the sound from the youtube clip with the threshold set low and the ratio cranked up high.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Dude honestly I have read all of your posts about the MXR, and the problem was you didn't know how to use it. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the fact.

14. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Sorry, but I have tried just about everything. It acted fine as a limiter.

15. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

The M87 can add punch, just don't go overboard with the input trim and the ratio.

16. Gabeja15

Gabeja15

I'll second the DOD milkbox. Sounds fantastic, tons of punch, and can be found for 40-60 bucks

17. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

3rd vote for the MilkBox.

18. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

I'm using an M87, my attack is right where I want it.

19. Steveaux

Steveaux

20. boomertech

boomertech Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    There have been a couple of PWNZOR’s recently in the classifieds that are in the OP’s price range.

-Frank

21. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Rusty Box... I know, not compression – but I use one to give my Buster 200 a penetrating kick in the balls.