Can anyone recommend a good gig bag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lefty923, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Lefty923

Lefty923

Disclosures:
    Forum Admin/Owner: Dr. Z Amplification
    I'm not looking to break the bank but I don't want junk either.

2. obimark

obimark

Mono M80- I have played 30 gigs with it. WORTH every penny. Buy once is much cheaper in the end than buying 3 times.

3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

I've used two top quality gig bags with an internal frame, a Protech and a Sadowsky. Both are durable, have big pockets, and offer great protection for the bass.

My fave is the Sadowsky Portabag, for several reasons. You can configure the straps either as backpack style, or as a single strap over one shoulder. The inside is a very nice plush material! And the handle and should strap pads are very comfortable.

4. tbear1776

tbear1776

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

How much are you looking to spend?

Mono M80 or Vertigo are excellent bags. Good protection, very light, and are not bulky.

7. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Media:
  8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Been very happy with my iGig. Four or five years old, countless gigs, usually overloaded with various junk and still in great shape.

Before that I had a Mooradian, which lasted 20 years! Great bag.

9. Itzayana

Itzayana

Another vote for MONO. I have a Vertigo and it is very good quality.

10. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

If you want lots of storage (meaning a micro head, laptop, cables, tuner, etc.) the Igig is the way to go. Otherwise the Mono M80 is great.

11. nagarjuna

nagarjuna

I own 3 electric instruments and they are all in Mooradian bags. Worth every penny.

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

The Mono is starting to push into "breaking the bank" territory. $200 is a lot for a case when there are quality, lower-priced options. Look at the ProTec Contego and the Gator ProGo.

13. MIMike

MIMike

I went pretty cheap and bought a Fender deluxe bag many years ago. Still working well for me. I bought a double instrument bag just like it a few years later and it has held up well too. My upright is in a Mooradian, which was very expensive, but much better protection for a more fragile instrument.

14. obimark

obimark

I thought the same thing when putting down $180-200 for the mono (3 years ago)- but you know what, I have now had the bag longer than some basses in the same time-frame- DOn't think I will ever need to buy another gig bag- so cost per use- is like 5 cents a day or less. ;-)

15. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I have a single igig and it has the best support for the neck I have even seen. Really holds the bass well and protects it and tons of storage. Has wings on the front or flaps I guess to help with protection (I call it my Always with wings bag) Only down side is sliding it in and out of my different cars all the little do dads on it get hung up sometimes but not bad. Best single bag for me.

The bag I use 99% of the time is my Mono double. I am always taking 2 basses to gigs and practice and it's smooth and slides around great. Protection is good not excellent but Mono makes tons of stuff to add on which is good I think they have chrome spinners for it in 2015. Only thing I don't like that the igig rules for is the handle right at the top. lifting it up to wear as a back-pac or to move around in my house and lean against something I like to be able to lift it up from the top this aint happening with my Mono just sayin.

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I have a double Levy's bag and it is great. Not super cheap, but in the 5-6 years I have had it, I have had no issues. The front pocket is big enough to hold a micro amp, it os well lined and is well built (nylon and leather). Still looks like new and I have taken it to at least 100 gigs and over 100 rehersals..

I recently picked up a used Rob Allen and it came with a ProTec gig bag. It is a ridged style, but still a gig bag that can be carried as a backpack. So far, I love it.well built, lots of storage, etc.

I hear great things about Mono also, but haven't owned one.

Just get something well padded IME.

17. artfahie

artfahie Supporting Member

+1... I've got a Levi's leather as well, it's like driving a Jag down the road... I just love the thing. I use it for all of my basses and keep the hardshell cases in the attic (it also generally adds far less weight to the bass as a hardshell as well)... Yes, it's an investment... but a great one !

Art Fahie
    Maine

18. ejaggers

ejaggers

I never understood why people use gig bags over HSC. Is it strictly a matter of cost?
    I've never had a gig bag except a really cheap one that came with a bass I bought, which I threw away. Can you explain?

19. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Ever tried transporting a hardshell on a bike or public transport?

+1 to Rockbag - never let me down. Sturdy! The Fender one I have is a joke, broken zippers are the least of my problems with their cheap ones.

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I have cases for all of my basses but never use them unless I have a gig that requires air travel (rare).

Gig bags are lighter, more compact, more storage compartments and easier to carry/transport. I bring a double gig bag loaded with 2 basses to every gig. I would never bring 2 hard cases/basses to a gig and that includes my Foderas.

YMMV

21. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

For me, it is convenience and ease of movement. I can throw it over one or both shoulders and carry other stuff at the same time. I can also partially open it and pull my bass out in a tight space without having to lay it on the ground. And, it is much lighter than a hardshell case.