1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can anyone tell me why my dog throws up every other day??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

Seriously... she's a great dog. She's intelligent, great with the kids, extremely obedient and amazingly cute. She's also very healthy by all outward appearances - she eats well, plays, runs, and essentially does everything a healthy and happy dog should be doing except.... she throws up about 3-4x per week. :help:
    There's no rhyme or reason to it. I've tried 5 different brands of dry dog food, another 5 or 6 brands of canned stuff. I've tried mixing the dry and canned together and then each on it's own. I've tried table scraps ONLY thus eliminating the commercial stuff altogether. I've watched her carefully to be sure that she's not eating something weird when she goes outside.. despite all of that, nothing.. I can't get to the bottom of this and it's been going on for about a year or so. Not to get gross or anything but she's not bringing up food either, it's always a greenish/yellow bile.
    She's so used to it that she'll actually come to me to let me know she's gonna looch so I can take her outside asap.
    Anyone here experience this with their own dog?
    (Yes, I may take her to the vet over this but I just wanted to find out if this is a harmless/common thing or not before I do)
  2. mike_v_s

mike_v_s

My dog has seizures (some obvious, some not) and usually vomits afterwards. He lets me know to let him out when one is coming on.

Mike
  3. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

Have you tried a rice-based feed? Some dogs cant handle the corn based foods. Your vet will have a rice/veal based food from Science Diet I'd imagine.
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I doggysit my friends schnauzer from time to time and he's been known to throw up from eating the grass in the yard. Dunno if that helps you any, but it's quite possible she's getting into something that makes her sick.
  5. Relic

I'm pretty sure I already tried that but I'll have to go back and double check (I usually kept notes on what I was giving her)
    But still, if it was food, wouldn't she just bring up the food itself? She will always bring up this bile-like fluid and it's never any actual thing she ate, just the fliud... really odd
  6. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

^ Ah,no idea.................good luck man.
  7. ridgeback

ridgeback

i agree..you also know dogs are lactose intolerant right..so no milk or dairy..i have a 17year old pointer and she more or less eats rice and fish..pasta ..she just cant eat normal dogfood..
  8. Relic

Of course - no milk, cheese, chocolate, etc etc. She gets none of that.

I'm starting to think that maybe it's some sort of allergy-type thing??
  9. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

if he's eating grass it's a sign of an upset stomache.....try a diet of steamed rice mixed with a little lean fried hamburger meat with the fat drained off.....if it doesn't get better see a vet
  10. LSquared

LSquared

I googled this and found some interesting discussions... We have 2 big mutts, and they each puke like you mention, but only 1/wk or so.
    Why Does My Dog Puke Every Day

I actually saw a couple of things to try.
  11. Relic

Great stuff, thanks!
    Actually I was reading something very intriguing on one of the sites mentioned - it mentioned feeding schedule as being a culprit. (If a dog goes hungry too long the stomach acids actually lead to them tossing their cookies) That's one of the things that I've never tried changing, nor ever even thought of.
    Hmm...we might be on to something here.
  12. LSquared

LSquared

That's something I was wondering, too. When my dogs puke bile, it is often in the morning, WAY past dinner.....
  13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    When my dog would puke, it would be due to eating grass which means they have an upset stomach. Like us, as he got older, his digestion wouldn't take to junk foods as well. Is there any grass in the puke?

He would puke sometimes from overeating, or eating too much and then exercising, but it wouldn't be bile. He'd also puke if he went too long without eating, and then gorged. Or if he was real thirsty, and drank too much water. Most of this didn't happen until he was much older though.
  14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Id suggest looking into this as well. Not only can some pets not handle corn based food, but it can lead to diabetes in your animal. Corn is used in pet food as a filler (along with other nasty things, like the ash of dead animals) and isnt good for their digestive tract.
  15. TobyBass55

TobyBass55

Sounds like worth discussing with your vet.

But I can tell you about what it turned out to be with our dog. He started throwing up every day and we couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. Then we noticed a tiny hole in the dogfood bag which we keep in the laundry room. It was a very small hole, but apparently, he had been secretly gorging himself till he was sick.

So we got a big plastic container with a latch on lid and the throwing up stopped.......for a while. Then it started up again. We didn't have any dogfood bags for him to be going after, just the plastic container. Then one day I caught him with his head in the plastic container. He had figured out how to open the latch!

So we turned the big container around so the latch faced the wall. So far hasn't figured that out
  16. standupright

standupright

Disclosures:
    Brownchicken Browncow
    if you'd like a suggestion on a really good dog food, i'd recommend Natural Balance Duck and Potato. single source of protein, single source of carbs.

"Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets® Potato & Duck Dry Dog Food is made with:

Fresh Duck Premium quality protein source not commonly used in pet foods.

Fresh Potatoes Premium quality carbohydrates, rich in potassium and highly digestible energy source.

Canola Oil Low in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated fat. Excellent Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acid profile.

Salmon Oil High in Omega 3, a natural source of DHA. .

No Artificial Preservatives, Flavors, Colors or Bleached Ingredients"

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/PandD.html

this is what i've been feeding my dogs forever. the allergy problem that one of them had, disappeared.

also, what do you clean your floors with?
  17. beelzelboss

beelzelboss

Hmmm, could it be something in the water maybe? How often do you clean out his water bowl because if there is no food, it could be a mix of water (That it just drank) plus the bile.

That's the best I got, but I would not have waited this long to take him to the vet. It could be something much worse than what is on the surface.
  18. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

My dog pukes occasionally and at inopportune times. Usually the bile crap you speak of. She's very picky when it comes to food, and I kinda think that eating nothing is what makes her do it. It's not like she pukes up food or anything, just foamy yellow disgusting stuff that makes me want to puke. Is your dog eating regularly?
  19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

As long as this has been going on, I'd say you're due for a visit and consult with the vet.
  20. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

For the record,I just hope I'm wrong.

I can just hear it now: "Ol' 5Strang,he don't know alot about basses but the man knows his dog puke!"

:meh: