1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Can DR Strings be used on 35"/extra long scale basses?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pnutz, Oct 10, 2008.

1. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

sorry if this has been covered here before (search function didn't accept 'dr strings') but would like a definite answer before i buy online. have been using ghs progressives and am looking to try out dr strings. on their website, it claims you can use hi-beams and lo-riders on basses with scale lengths around 37". but at a local store here in the san francisco bay area, two employees said that dr's are 34" only. mind you, this store has the best bass selection locally so i figured they should know all their merch inside and out. color me confused. so i'm asking my bass brethren if you've used (or are using) dr hi-beams or lo-riders on your modulus/mtd's/fodera's/or any other bass with a scale length of 35". thanks for your help!

2. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I use DR Black Beauties on my 35" scale MTD with no problems, if that helps.

3. mattygbass

mattygbass

all dr's can be used on 35 inch scale.

4. Psychotic_Hell

Psychotic_Hell

I used hi-beams on my Lakland 5501 which is a 35" scale

I have it strung through body and i still had to cut them an inch or 2.

They sound great as well

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-MOST

T-MOST

DR's are long enough for 35" scale basses... definately.

7. Tony G

Tony G

I've actually found that if you have a 35" 5+ string bass with a low B, DR strings fit it better than basses with 34". The Low B is so long that when stringing it to anything other than a 35" scale bass the fat part of the string starts to get wrapped around the winding. I guess this could be the result of a small headstock and b string tuner placed close ot the nut...I don't know.

And of course this wouldn't affect a 4 string bass at all, regardless of scale being 34" or over.

8. eadg57

eadg57

+1
    I've used DRs (several different types) on a Modulus Q5. No problem.

9. Revmizery

Revmizery

DR's will work fine with that scale length you could also check out their long neck series which is basically hi-beams with the B-A tapered.

10. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

DR Hi-Beams 45-130 fit just fine on my Lakland Skyline 55-01. 35" scale AND strung through the body. Plus they sound great. I quit using taper-wound B strings and the bass sounds so much better now. The B sounds like the rest of the bass instead of an afterthought.

jte

11. Roland777

Roland777

DR-strings have a wound length of 970mm - for your average toploading bridge, you can fit it onto basses with scale-lengths into the "36.5 area.

12. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Using DR Sunbeams on my Quantum 5 with no fit issues. Best string for this bass to my ears.

13. sotjian

sotjian

I use DR Low-Riders on my Lakland 55-01.
    B & E bridge thru (better palm muting), the rest thru body.
    Plenty of length left over.
    Awesome strings.

Agree'd w/ JTE, the B does sound like it's part of the bass and not an afterthought.

14. Miesside

Miesside

To note that, The DR long necks are actually not hi-beams. basically they are not as bright as the hi-beams, but they serve better clarity in the lows. I used them on my lakland 55-02 and they sounded great especially the low B string [kills]. And also some people might wanna say that tapered strings are for thru-body design basses to allow you increase the saddles high to allow the tapered area to sit on the saddles nicely.No offerences to those who are using hi-beam on their 35scales bass.To me strings are more of a personal preferences. Hope this info's helps. Cheers!:bassist:

15. Revmizery

Revmizery

Thanks for that clarification Miesside.