1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can DR Strings be used on 35"/extra long scale basses?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pnutz, Oct 10, 2008.

1. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

sorry if this has been covered here before (search function didn't accept 'dr strings') but would like a definite answer before i buy online. have been using ghs progressives and am looking to try out dr strings. on their website, it claims you can use hi-beams and lo-riders on basses with scale lengths around 37". but at a local store here in the san francisco bay area, two employees said that dr's are 34" only. mind you, this store has the best bass selection locally so i figured they should know all their merch inside and out. color me confused. so i'm asking my bass brethren if you've used (or are using) dr hi-beams or lo-riders on your modulus/mtd's/fodera's/or any other bass with a scale length of 35". thanks for your help!
  2. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I use DR Black Beauties on my 35" scale MTD with no problems, if that helps.
  3. mattygbass

mattygbass

all dr's can be used on 35 inch scale.
  4. Psychotic_Hell

Psychotic_Hell

I used hi-beams on my Lakland 5501 which is a 35" scale

I have it strung through body and i still had to cut them an inch or 2.

They sound great as well
  5. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

DR's are long enough for 35" scale basses... definately.
  6. Tony G

Tony G

I've actually found that if you have a 35" 5+ string bass with a low B, DR strings fit it better than basses with 34". The Low B is so long that when stringing it to anything other than a 35" scale bass the fat part of the string starts to get wrapped around the winding. I guess this could be the result of a small headstock and b string tuner placed close ot the nut...I don't know.

And of course this wouldn't affect a 4 string bass at all, regardless of scale being 34" or over.
  7. eadg57

eadg57

+1
    I've used DRs (several different types) on a Modulus Q5. No problem.
  8. Revmizery

Revmizery

DR's will work fine with that scale length you could also check out their long neck series which is basically hi-beams with the B-A tapered.
  9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

DR Hi-Beams 45-130 fit just fine on my Lakland Skyline 55-01. 35" scale AND strung through the body. Plus they sound great. I quit using taper-wound B strings and the bass sounds so much better now. The B sounds like the rest of the bass instead of an afterthought.

jte
  10. Roland777

Roland777

DR-strings have a wound length of 970mm - for your average toploading bridge, you can fit it onto basses with scale-lengths into the "36.5 area.
  11. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Using DR Sunbeams on my Quantum 5 with no fit issues. Best string for this bass to my ears.
  12. sotjian

sotjian

I use DR Low-Riders on my Lakland 55-01.
    B & E bridge thru (better palm muting), the rest thru body.
    Plenty of length left over.
    Awesome strings.

Agree'd w/ JTE, the B does sound like it's part of the bass and not an afterthought.
  13. Miesside

Miesside

To note that, The DR long necks are actually not hi-beams. basically they are not as bright as the hi-beams, but they serve better clarity in the lows. I used them on my lakland 55-02 and they sounded great especially the low B string [kills]. And also some people might wanna say that tapered strings are for thru-body design basses to allow you increase the saddles high to allow the tapered area to sit on the saddles nicely.No offerences to those who are using hi-beam on their 35scales bass.To me strings are more of a personal preferences. Hope this info's helps. Cheers!:bassist:
  14. Revmizery

Revmizery

Thanks for that clarification Miesside.