Can high tension strings bow the jazz bass neck?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by usbulat, Feb 14, 2014.

1. usbulat

usbulat

Hello,

My Fender Jazz Bass AmStd (2012) has GHS Heavy Bass Boomers on it (50-115). I like the tension and like the sound of them, but wondering, can them bow my neck after some peroid? Can they cause any problems for the neck?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

3. usbulat

usbulat

Just forgot to write that I use standard E tune.

4. usbulat

usbulat

No, now it is ok.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

No point in looking for problems, nor in worrying about things that may never happen. Unless you've installed the strings very recently, chances are if the neck was going to bow, it would have done so already.

If it does begin to bow, and for some reason you're unable to correct the situation by adjusting the truss rod, then you can think about changing to a lower-tension string. My bet is that it won't be an issue at all.

MM

7. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    What Mystic said! Some necks are more touchy than others, but most likely you will be fine.

8. usbulat

usbulat

Thank you for reply.

9. bobalu

bobalu

Your bass also has the graphite rods in it. One of the most stable and robust necks out there today, imo. I wouldn't be the least bit worried. A vintage bass is a different story though...........

10. slickrick63

slickrick63

I am a huge fan of MIM Jazz basses. I would be extremely skeptical of someone removing frets on any instrument. If he wanted a fretless, why didn't he just get one of the budget Warmoth necks? I have 2 basses in the $1,000+ range and as much as it pains me, that Mexican bass plays and sounds better. When I bought it, the neck was severely bowed. I was lucky enough to straighten it. The trick is to turn the truss screw a couple turns, wait a couple hours, turn it some more. Repeat the process until its straight.