Can I add S/C switch to Nordy NJ4SV ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Dec 17, 2013.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Got a Nordy NJ4 SV side by side humbucking Jazz at the bridge on my passive Areo 1 P/J Bass, and was wondering if i can simply add a mini switch to the control plate to flip between humbucking and single coil ?

I'd need a diagram of where the wires connect to - too dumb to figure this out myself ( i can cook pasta, but lectronix goes over my head )

The Nordy jazz pup is either split or dual - not sure what the correct term is. I guess most here know what they are, but just in case..

[​IMG]
  2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Nope. It's not that kind of humbucker.
  3. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

OK, thanks Rojo. This could be the shortest thread ever ;)
  4. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I'm sure we could go into more detail, if you wanted, though :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

I dont mind a bit of education, bud. :)

What the hey is different about this humby that means its un-single coilable ? Is that even a proper word :cool:
  7. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    How this pickup is made is kind of like a P bass pickup. It's essentially 2 small single coil pickups, wired series, and mounted right next to each other. I also believe that one is wound opposite the other and that prevents hum (though better experts can clarify that).
    They put it together in a way that can't be "rewired" without a lot of trouble, so it just has 2 leads: black and white.
    (if yours has a grey wire, it's only to connect the pickup's sheilding to a ground on the bass.)

Pickups like the Dimarzio Jazz pickups can be wired "series" or "parallel" because they are built to allow that. Each of the side-by-side coils has a "+" and "-" lead that can be wired to a switch or fixed permanently as either. BUT... if you did a "split", you'd only end up with 1/2 of the pickup functioning, ala the E and A would work, not the D and G.

If you find a pickup that is humbucking and has 2 coils built like this:

[​IMG]

you could wire them with a split because they'd cover the entire span of the strings. But most bass pickups like that are like:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

and those won't fit into the cavity you have.
    I hope that helps.
  8. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

You coudn't have put that any simpler , pal

I might end up moving the Nordy on for a typical S/C J pup, as I prefer the tone
  9. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    My pleasure!
    Good luck in the search for another, you have a ton of options to choose from.
  10. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Cheers - yeah mind bending amount of options, but think i will go for old school tone 60'/70's J

One other thing rojo - can you point me to an online schematic with pretty pictures for how a P/J bass with S/C in the J position would be wired ?

thanks
  11. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Its ok - found 100's !