1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can I add S/C switch to Nordy NJ4SV ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Dec 17, 2013.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Got a Nordy NJ4 SV side by side humbucking Jazz at the bridge on my passive Areo 1 P/J Bass, and was wondering if i can simply add a mini switch to the control plate to flip between humbucking and single coil ?

I'd need a diagram of where the wires connect to - too dumb to figure this out myself ( i can cook pasta, but lectronix goes over my head )

The Nordy jazz pup is either split or dual - not sure what the correct term is. I guess most here know what they are, but just in case..

[​IMG]
  2. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Nope. It's not that kind of humbucker.
  3. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

OK, thanks Rojo. This could be the shortest thread ever ;)
  4. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I'm sure we could go into more detail, if you wanted, though :D
  5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

I dont mind a bit of education, bud. :)

What the hey is different about this humby that means its un-single coilable ? Is that even a proper word :cool:
  6. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    How this pickup is made is kind of like a P bass pickup. It's essentially 2 small single coil pickups, wired series, and mounted right next to each other. I also believe that one is wound opposite the other and that prevents hum (though better experts can clarify that).
    They put it together in a way that can't be "rewired" without a lot of trouble, so it just has 2 leads: black and white.
    (if yours has a grey wire, it's only to connect the pickup's sheilding to a ground on the bass.)

Pickups like the Dimarzio Jazz pickups can be wired "series" or "parallel" because they are built to allow that. Each of the side-by-side coils has a "+" and "-" lead that can be wired to a switch or fixed permanently as either. BUT... if you did a "split", you'd only end up with 1/2 of the pickup functioning, ala the E and A would work, not the D and G.

If you find a pickup that is humbucking and has 2 coils built like this:

[​IMG]

you could wire them with a split because they'd cover the entire span of the strings. But most bass pickups like that are like:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

and those won't fit into the cavity you have.
    I hope that helps.
  7. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

You coudn't have put that any simpler , pal

I might end up moving the Nordy on for a typical S/C J pup, as I prefer the tone
  8. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    My pleasure!
    Good luck in the search for another, you have a ton of options to choose from.
  9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Cheers - yeah mind bending amount of options, but think i will go for old school tone 60'/70's J

One other thing rojo - can you point me to an online schematic with pretty pictures for how a P/J bass with S/C in the J position would be wired ?

thanks
  10. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Its ok - found 100's !