1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can I ask some silly questions?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RockBobby, Feb 9, 2013.

1. RockBobby

RockBobby Supporting Member

I was just reading about a new cab line and I got the familiar "more upper-mid present" and "leaner but solid bottom end" TYPE description.
    So, this makes me keep thinking, "Are these guys the same ones that are always commenting on the EQ sections of an amp or preamp?"

So my question is, If the cabinet voicing is so important, are you using an amp that has no EQ?

-OR-
    If the amp section of the rig's EQ is so important, are you using a cab that is neutral enough to utilize the amp's features?

-OR-
    Are you thinking that most are only going to use 1 amp/cab combination for all applications considering next month, a new amp-cab with one or two different features will be a game changer?

I hope I made my point clear enough.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Different amps and different cabs react differently to each other. In the amp category, I like clean, modern-sounding amps that require little EQ to sound "flat." I also like cabs that are pretty even across the frequencies. That way everything kind of starts "in the middle" and I can EQ the amp to get the tone I want. An example of that would be a GK MB800 into a Bergantino AE410.

If I were to put the MB800 into my AE212, it would automatically be warmer in the low mids. If I put a Tone Hammer 500 into the AE212, it would be more vintage sounding, losing the crisp highs.

So it gets down to mixing and matching the amp and the cab to achieve your particular tone goals.
  3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I couldn't change the EQ on my amp to make my Peavey 410 sound like my 215 or 810, likewise, I can't change the EQ to make the 215 sound like the 410 or 810 etc etc. However, controlling the EQ on my amp will change my tone through that setup.

As Munj says, they all work together to produce the final product.
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    No, No, No, and What Point?

Maybe a poll would help this thread. Don't forget Carrots.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, really, I think you've got something there.
  6. zortation

zortation Distant relative of Arthur 'Two Sheds' Jackson Supporting Member

I also prefer cabs with a more even response. It depends totally on your tastes really. Aggressive styles sound good through cabs with the mid "hump'', they are chosen for that sound....and jazz and r&b guys might prefer to have more flexibility with the amp to add or subtract mids as they see fit, so a more neutral sounding speaker is more suited.