1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can I Combine A GK MB212 Combo With A GK 410MBE Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Daniel Dye, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Daniel Dye

Daniel Dye

This is all rather hypothetical, since I don't currently have the funding for this idea (thanks to the job market!), but I'm considering, when I do have the money, buying a Gallien-Krueger MB212 500W combo, then adding a Gallien-Krueger 410MBE 4x10 extension cab to it. I rather like the idea of having a 4 by 10 and a 2 by something bigger. I might just be a little anal, but I'd like the cabs to more or less match, so I wanted to get another GK, roughly the same size and appearance. I don't see a 15 inch cab, so a 2x10 was the best option. It says there's an output for an extension cab on the MB212, and the extension cab can handle the wattage. Is there any reason that this wouldn't work that I'm not seeing for some reason? Thanks! And, of course, if anyone has a rig like this, or one somewhat similar, let me know how you like it! Thanks!
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Unless G-K has decided to offer the MB212 with an extension jack, it is already running at 4 ohms for a full 500 watts and you can NOT add an extension cab. Now the MB212 II will have a "link" connection so you can add the POWERED G-K extension cab :)
  3. Daniel Dye

Daniel Dye

Thanks, B-String! That never crossed my mind, but now that you say it, it seems rather obvious... Seeing as you're a member of the GK Club, do you have any experience with the GK MB410 combo? If I got only that, you reckon that would be loud enough in a band setting? Not a massive venue or anything, mostly for church. But, in the future I'd like to be playing elsewhere as well, you think it would put out enough? I've never looked a whole lot into amps, so I don't know much what I'm talking about.
  4. B-string

MB212 or MB410 will crack stained glass and handle medium size gigs very well. If you are just doing worship right now might I suggest the MB210 (you will need to roll the bass back to prevent it being boomy). Later add the 410MBE for big gigs, 500 G-K watts into 610's should cover anything you would do without PA support (use ear plugs though if you crank that rig up).
  5. Kael

Kael

Look at the mb115 over the mb210. The mb210 just sounds WAY too tubby. Even with the low end rolled massively back. The mb115 on the other hand sounds surprisingly good.
  6. B-string

If you get it new (MB115 II) you could add the powered 115MBP later for 400 watts into 2 15". That works also. (Great time to be a bass player)
  7. Daniel Dye

Daniel Dye

I was under the impression that bigger speakers sounded "tubbier" than smaller ones? That's why I was thinking a 410 would be good, I've heard they're punchier and a little less boomy than, say, a 12 or 15. Maybe that's only if it's multiple 12's or 15's, though?
  8. Daniel Dye

Daniel Dye

Our stage setup for worship where I play, is... well, not ideal, I don't think. The bass amp (I currently use the church's near-too-old-to-work SWR, 200W combo), is right behind an un-caged drum set in a fairly small room. The bass seems, from where I stand, to be swallowed up by the drums. And the drummer is... well, I love him to death, but he is VERY loud, and the worship leader/pastor loves everything loud. I'm fine with loud, as long as I can be loud, but still clear. I thought 10 inch speakers were punchier than 12s or 15s, so I thought they would be better to cut through the drums and booming acoustic guitar (yeah, the balance is that weird). Am I going at this all wrong?
  9. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Must try before you buy!
    I really liked the G-K MB's I've tried
  10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Disclosures:
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Spot on! I currently have the MB212, and it gets loud enough for the situations I play in. Plus, I have a horn section.
  11. Kael

Kael

Sorry for the delay on replying, I've been on the road for a while. While the size of the speakers does have a little influence on the tone of a cab, it is very miniscule. You really need to examine each speaker cab on its on merits. The mb115 combo is FAR more tightly voiced than the mb210. The 210 is horribly bottom heavy no matter how much low end you roll off.

Try before you buy.
  12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 you simply cannot judge a cab by the size of the drivers alone. In fact, it's best not to think of driver size at all. Far too many other variables. And, afaik, only the MB210 combo is capable of adding on a normal ext cab, and a matching 210 is what you'd want to use. I like the idea of using the MB15 with a powered 15 ext cab best.
  13. tbasstreble11

tbasstreble11

What of this in regard to the MB212? I'm looking at both the MB115 200w and the MB212 500w and looks like the little extra coin (for the MB212) I'll have as much volume as I'll ever need? Is the bottom end and issue with the212? Also, are there any limiting factors involved in a combo that powerful?

Cheers :)