1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can I connect HI-FI or PA power amp to my bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Lorenzop, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Waiting for proper bass head so this is intermediary solution BUT:

Can I connect my SS Hifi or PA power amps to the speaker-in jack of my bass cab?

As far as my tech noob knowledge goes, I think it should be fine, the impedance matches. The amps have all the freq. response. The power handling of speakers cab is 65W and my amps are 100 or 300 watts, but Ill be having room loudness anyway, so low volume, that should also match. The power amp will be receiving line signal so thats fine (im not pluggin bass into the power amp). Also although stereo the amps are SS so just using one channel and leaving the other without load wont be a problem.

My only problem: the cab has a trs jack, the amps have just exposed-wire connectors red and black + and -
    Should I just cut one end off my cab speaker cable and then tie the wires to the power amp? How many wires -and what colour coding / what goes to + and - ?
    Ive never done this -am tech noob!:hyper:
    Thanks
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Why does the cab use a TRS jack? Is the ring used for anything in particular in that cab?

Other than that you should be good to go given your plan to remove a plug from one end of the speaker cable. The hot (+) wire goes to the red connector on the amp, now you know where the other one goes. If you are using only one cab it really doesn't matter which way unless you need to match polarity with something else like a PA or recording feed.
  3. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

My bad it's a standard TS speaker jack!!
    Thanks.
  4. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

just dismantle one end of the cable and tie the bare wires to the posts, just as you would with your hifi speakers.

What are you going to use as pre-amp?
    If you have a passive bass, it matters. If you have an active bass, just run it into the poweramp or line in of your hifi. Adjust your sound on board on your bass.

As long as you just want to practice at home, almost anything goes. If you want to jam, well then things get a bit more complicated and we need to know all components in order to advise.

Good luck.
  5. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    No problem at all then, just wire + to tip and - to sleeve.

Many PA (or "hi-fi") poweramps are used in rack rigs everyday (separate preamp and poweramp), and the "power section" of an "all-in-one" bass amp is essentially the same thing, just both preamp and poweramp are built into one box, that's all. Plug in and play. As far as the power difference between amp and speaker....just don't crank the volume up all the way, that's all. You could use a 1000 watt amp on a 10 watt speaker if you don't turn it up too much.