1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Can I get a brief rundown of college football??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by capnjim, Jan 2, 2014.

1. capnjim

capnjim

I like football, enjoy the occasional Bow, game. I'm a Canadian (Yes the CFL is a better game!!)
    But, I thought the bowl games were for the US ultimate college championship. But there are way too many. Just when I think, this is the ultimate championship, they announce yet another ultimate championship.
    Alabama is playing Oklahoma yet Alabama has a number 3 ranking and Ok. has an 11. Shouldn't there be a few teams ahead of Ok.?
    Is is possible to make sense or is it just too many teams and too many divisions to decide an ultimate US college champ??

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

A bunch of large children with lots of steroids hitting each other.

3. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

The bowl system doesn't make sense. It has more to do with money and fan base than rankings. That being said, if I here one more POLITICIAN give his opinion about it, or call for an investigation, I'm going to lose my mind. The government should not be involved in college football in ANY WAY.

There is no short version. It is a long, complicated story. Plus, I give it about another year or two before it will be thrown out. The NCAA will cave to pressure and have a regular championship playoff. So I wouldn't spend too much time learning the current system.

4. capnjim

capnjim

Thats too bad. In Canada, college football is no where near as popular as even CFL, but, we do have a playoff type system with one national champion.
    I guess US college football is such a huge business and so many teams, it would be impossible to have a playoff single champ system.
    Was there ever a single national champ?
    I was watching the Alabama game and was under the impression it was the "Big Game", yet they advertise another "Big Game" with teams that have a no.1 and no.2 ranking.
    I guess the bottom line is, a lot of cheerleaders will get nailed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

The championship game will be Monday night between Florida state university and Auburn in the Rose bowl....which is always the championship game. Everything else is just for show.

Next year they are going to a play off system....so lets cuss the bcs as being a complete failure all we can this year.

7. capnjim

capnjim

Wasn't the Rose Bowl already played??

8. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The Rode Bowl game was, but there's another game in the stadium by that name this year.