Can I get an Ampeg tutorial?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Gbass75, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

I've got a PF-800, and I want to find someone knowledgable who can tell me about the ins-and-outs of the amp; so I can really get it dialed in... But, the guys at Guitar Center are not inspiring much confidence whenever I go in there. It's like shopping at "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" store. Honestly, if one more fella at GC calls me "bro," I'm going to barf. Do they TELL their employees to call us that?!?

So... What should I do?!? Is there anyone in the Bay Area who is well versed in this gear? Is there a hotline? A YouTube vid?

Help?!?
  2. Sartori

Sartori

Have you read the owner's manual?
  3. Cirk

Cirk

Paging JimmyM...
  4. Gbass75

I haven't looked at the manual too closely; I'll admit. I've been away from home for a week (still not back yet); handling the death of my father-in-law; and wishing I'd brought it with me to read.

I have to sell some basses to cover the cost if getting family out here... when all is said and done, I'll likely have one bass and my ampeg rig... so, I want to know how to dial it in properly.

There's a story about David Bowie getting synthesizers for the first time. He tossed the manuals and played with then until they did what he wanted them too... I guess I thought that route might be best. Perhaps not. Still... I'd be happy to hear from any experts!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

A google search turned-up an "overview" video on youtube and some "first impression" discussion here on TB. You might start there I suppose.
  7. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

Yeah don't do that. Read the manual and it will tell you everything you need to know.
  8. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

9. Gbass75

10. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Glad to help.
  11. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

If the PF800 circuit design is anything like the PF500, a pro tip for setting the preamp circuit:

1) turn the Compressor, Gain and Master Volume knobs all the way down
    2) THEN set the Gain knob to your taste
    3) THEN dial up the Compressor and Master Volume as desired.

The PF500 can be finicky, so the PF800 may be the same way (unless they adjusted the circuit design, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just beefed up the power amp of the 500). On the PF500, if you have the compressor dialed up when you set the gain, it can give the preamp circuit a false overload signal, making the protection mode kick on and the amp will cut out for a few seconds before coming back on.

5sg.
  12. Gbass75

Thank you, Mr. 5sg!
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The PF800 isn't as finicky as the PF500 was...its finickyness has been fixed, too.

Anyway, was looking for recent threads on the PF800 since I just got one today and this one caught my eye. "Getting the most" out of it means different things to different people, and it also might change from cab to cab. For example, I'm no fan of compression, but you might like it. The only thing I'd say to get the most out of it is to turn the gain up to the point of distortion using your ears, then back off it slightly till it clears up. Then turn the other knobs to taste.
  14. Gbass75

Thank you, Jimmy... THAT is precisely the type of info I was looking for!
  15. High Camp

High Camp

+1 on JimmyM's quote.
    If you're using your PF800 with a PF cab ( and I'm guessing you are, I remember a short thread about a cover for the PF410), I would recommend compression off, Bass and Mid a little over noon (Mid on 800 hz) and Treble a little under noon.
    The compression driver on minus 6 db.
    Anyway, that's the sound I enjoy.
  16. cableguy

cableguy

Jimmy is right on with setting the gain. I didn't use the compression, and use master for overall volume. (this was with my old PF-500 which has the same pre section) I must like an aggressive tone because I would dime my mids....
  17. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

There are a few videos on YouTube of Dino M from ampeg guiding you through different EQ settings on the pf-500, also one on setting the gain which jimmy previously answered. He runs a few different basses through the amp as well as different videos for playing style (rock, upright/fretless). I've watched them and they were very very helpful
  18. Gbass75

Thanks, fellas!