can i get cliffs sound with the 105q?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Unemploid, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Unemploid

Unemploid

i' m not trying to get cliff burton's sound, i'm just wondering can you. i wanna get the 105q. can the 105q make simular sounds as the dual bass wah?

here is a video of the dual bass wah sounding simular to cliff tone: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DrA9t6Y-DYo

here is a whom the bell tolls cover with dual bass wah with funk button on: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kHzS-g28R5g

i haven't found a a cover of whom the bell tolls with the 105q. fyi, rage against the machine's bassist, and wolfegang van halen use the 105q.
  2. StayLow

StayLow

Cooooool, I thought Trujillo was participating in some kind of farce at first. That dude's a ringer.

I've played that using many wahs, and I really like the 105q in general too though any good wah will do, in my experience.

You also need OD though. I recommend Ibanez PD7 since it has an EQ on it so no matter what your bass/string sound like this combo should get you in the ballpark. Plus it's cheap.
  3. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

I have had the 105q for more than 10 years now and I just love it.

To be honest I don't think it is in the same ballpark as the Morley since it leaves your bass frequencies unaffected, which gives a very unique tonal character, that actually some find very tame.

That said in order to get a similar tone I think what comes before and after the wah is more important. Cliff used a rather mid-heavy tone and also a lot of distortion before the wah. I feel those are more important factors to getting closer to a similar tone.

And by the way Trujillo (and actually everybody on this video) uses the 105q:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyubYR-K55c
  4. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

The 105q is a high pass filter. Cliff used a Morley which is a band pass filter. You really can't simulate that sound with a 105q
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

7. Veldar

Veldar

I would just like to say the Morley power wah is rubbish on bass, cuts all the lows.
  8. bassgod0dmw

Are you talking about the new version or the old Tel Ray version?
  9. nicc

nicc

If ur looking for the same kind of sweep and sound can't beat the power wah boost or even a mark tremonti wah does the trick, I find most other ways give like a farty sort of sound
  10. Veldar

Veldar

New one man, I haven't the cash to drop on an old one.
  11. bassgod0dmw

They're not much more expensive than a new one, and in done cases much less
  12. nicc

nicc

Vintage morley wahs you can find every now and again quite cheap on eBay as for the OD a TS808 tubescreamer works well since its what cliff used in his later years.
  13. Unemploid

Unemploid

i'll be posting thread about wahs till i have the money to buy my own.
  14. Unemploid

Unemploid

i see bassgod is my number one fan.

uneffected lowend is something i'm interested in a bass wah. at some point i'll own the bass crybaby, morley, and other wahs. i may have two wahs for rhythm and lead, like tm stevens.

@33:40 tm stevens talks about his wahs: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=--ZChaGSY9U

btw, i'm not trying to copycat cliff tone. the 105q is nice, but can be tamed. the morley has it's sound, i feel it's not a deverse wah pedal.