1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can I get some Help here?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BDL1991, Dec 5, 2012.

1. BDL1991

BDL1991

So my Girlfriend decided she'll get me a bass pedal for christmas, and I have no clue what i want, I have a cheapo tuner pedal and a EHX Bass muff pi and I have no idea what else i could want.

any opinions appreciated

also this is the stuff I play, this is my band

https://soundcloud.com/conceptofzero
  2. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

The Big Muff Pi is an awesome pedal. Can't go wrong with that one; unless its just not for you. Get on that YouTube machine and search for stuff you might like. You'll end up down some crazy rabbit holes and find some really cool effects some people are using. Good luck.
  3. BadB

BadB

How about a better tuner to replace your "cheapo"?
  4. intheory

intheory Supporting Member

I've been using the polytune for more than 2 years. One of the best equipment purchases I've ever made, and if it ever craps out I will replace it immediately with the same product. I've gigged it more than 200 times and it has never let me down.
  5. phox

phox

After the tuner and big muff, I bought a delay pedal.
  6. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Delay > MXR Carbon Copy | TC Flashback
    Envelope Filter > MXR | Proton | SA BEF (or BEF Pro)
    Octaver > MXR | OC-2 |Cubic
  7. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Pitch Black tuner
  8. Bassman Spliff

Bassman Spliff

I would recommend the MXR Envelope Filter or a Boss BF-3 Flanger. I love both of these effects.
  9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

MXR does make a nice envelope filter.
  10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

You might consider a multiband compressor.

MXR's and EBS's come to mind.
  11. scottfeldstein

MXR does make a very nice bass compressor. :)
  12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

TC Electronics MM4 is what I am looking at myself. That or a Bassballs.. They seem to have not only that cool tone factor, but how can you go wrong with something called Bassballs
  13. BDL1991

BDL1991

you see two pedals that have currently got me interested are the TC electronic Polytune and the Dunlop bass crybaby, I wouldn't mind some sort of decent Auto-wah
    it's so hard to choose
  14. scottfeldstein

I have the PolyTune. No regrets. Not sure about the wah pedal. I'd go for the auto-wah, the envelop filter. And if you want the unit best at just nailing that classic sound try the MXR. The sound of that thing could turn Mitch McConnell into James Brown.
  15. spaz21387

spaz21387

16. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    A nice flanger or phaser would sound great in your band situation occasionally.
    Another drive pedal might be a good option so you could have two levels of drive available.
    The mxr bass fuzz deluxe is a good option. At the end of the day, there are a million and one fuzz/ drive pedals out there, and everyone has their favourite!
  17. slngd

slngd

I know it's off-topic, but man, i really digged your Portland Prison Blues!
  18. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Supporting Member

It's funny, I'm not sure some of the people recommending stuff actually listened to your band (delay and envelope don't strike me as particularly good choices for a punk band).
    That being said, the one reggae/ska song you have would be cool with a little envelope.
    But the overwhelming majority of your material seems to be in your face fast tempo stuff, so while punk is not my forte, seems crapusername's on the money. Hopefully punk players will chime in.

I also wanted to say that the bass is pretty tight in your music. You're fast AND clean. Nice! Keep it up (and keep that girlfriend handy...one that indulges in your passion is a keeper :) ).
  19. knumbskull

knumbskull

No one's said overdrive yet? :)

EDIT it would seem the logical choice for punky stuff. With a decent OD and the BBM you'd have a good range of dirt
  20. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I think a B3K or a Rusty Box would be a welcome addition to your board and maybe a Fuzzrocious BDPG.