Can I handle drums too

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jamerman, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Jamerman

Jamerman

My practise schedule right now is around 2-3 hours long, and consists of guitar, bass, and keyboards. It contains technique, aural, and learning covers to study in detail, and I'm considering adding a session of either improvising, song writing or theory, or alternating between each.

However, I also have access to a drum kit, and I'm considering playing on that a bit. I just have a few questions:
    1) Within 3 hours of practise time, can I practise all 4 instruments to a reasonable degree?
    2) What can I gain from learning drums that I couldn't from just looking at drum theory (Eg: I've seen people use drum rudiments for uses in rhythm and polyrhythms)

2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

IMO any new instrument folds into your other musical instruments. Your overall understanding of music increases with each new instruments you learn how to play. Can you get all of this into your practice? Only you can answer that.

I from time to time take on a new instrument, some take and some fall by the wayside. Fiddle and clarinet did not make it. Why? Both would require more time than I was willing to give them.

Since you have access to drums give it a try. In my case when I take on a new instrument that instrument takes all my practice and study time.

3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Nothing beats class of solfege, music theory and musical analis. It opened so many doors and make some music much more interesting than before ( which sounded like a a guy having a seizure while having a guitar in his hands ).

even playing music intented for another instrument on your bass will give you ideas ... people like to keep guitar "part" on guitar instead of f***ing thing a little and try it on bass etc ...

4. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Drums are my primary instrument which I've been playing since 1969 and in bands since 1975. In 2008 I suffered a couple of strokes, lost use of the right side of my body. My physical therapists incorporated drumming into my physical therapy from the start. I had to start from scratch, but it was very rewarding. I'm not the drummer that I once was, but I'm happy with how far that I've come. I currently play drums in a classic rock/oldies cover band and do a good bit of sub work in the blues genre.

In 2010 I decided to jump deep into learning hand percussion. I took lessons and developed my chops on conga, cajon and djembe. I currently play hand percussion in two bands and have been doing some studio work. I gig on hand percussion at least once a week, sometimes a lot more.

Being deep in learning mode I turned my attention to bass. I started on bass and drums in 1969, but mostly played roots and octaves back then. I drifted away from bass and concentrated on my drumming only for many years. I finally got serious about playing bass in 2011. I take lessons and have made big strides on the instrument, particularly in the past year. I sub with a local blues band and one of the members of an acoustic project wants to form a power trio with me on bass. I'm really liking that idea.

Which brings me to your original question. Yes, you can make serious progress on the instrument with the time that you have.

I retired from my day job in 2009, music is all I do these days. In theory I try to divide my practice time evenly between the three instruments. In practice Bass has gotten more of my time this past year. It varies though. If I have a lot of percussion gigs upcoming, I'll lean a little heavier on practicing that. I needed to learn 48 songs in ten days on drums to cover a gig a few weeks back, so that took up most of my time.

You can do this if you want to. Keep it fun and it'll happen.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jamerman

Jamerman

Thanks for the great replies, but I think I'll hold back from drums for now. The main reason is I only started practicing on keyboard/piano seriously about a month ago, and I'd like to really get a grip on the instrument first. If I feel I can learn/study drumming/percussion then I'll think about reserving time for that too, but atm I'll just try and fill in my theory knowledge gaps (I'm trying to learn counterpoint and different textures in music, which will be very time consuming)