Can I have 3 pedals without static?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by STILLJAZZIN, Jan 24, 2014.

1. STILLJAZZIN

STILLJAZZIN

I plan to buy a chorus, delay, and octave pedal for my Ibanez SR375 bass. I only use it in my studio so I need a system that is really quiet without hum and buzz. The bass has (?) dual coil pickups so it's pretty quiet by itself.
    Past experience tells me pedals = noise X1 X2 X3. If I use these three pedals and plug into my mixer and recorder, am I going to have a noise problem, is there any way to eliminate the noise ?? Maybe the pedals today are shielded better than they were 30 years ago? Thanks

2. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Well, I would think with the proper power supply (or individual batteries) you should experience nearly zero noise...assuming you purchase quality pedals.

As a matter of fact, I spent the day in the studio today (w/ 8 hrs booked for tomorrow) and I was using way more than 3 pedals...dead silent, now I was using quality pedals & a power supply with isolated outputs...YMMV.

3. STILLJAZZIN

STILLJAZZIN

I have not tried multi pedals with the bass and equipment I have today. I wanted to ask before I buy pedals. My experience is from many years ago with a Fender Jazz and Peavey 400 Amp. That amp was the best I ever had for club work, but it was noisy, so any pedals just added static.

You just plug in pedals one to the next with a short two conductor cable, and the noise level is low? Great, there is hope. What do you mean by isolated outputs. Is AC the best for pedals, or would batteries tend to produce less noise. ?

4. Swift713

Swift713

If you buy decent pedals you should be able to power them with a simple daisy chain power supply like the One Spot or the Godlyke (I forget what it's called) with no noise issues. Some pedals are finicky about power and are quieter with isolated supplies or batteries but the majority of pedals on the market these days run at 9v center - and work nicely on a daisy chain.

5. Register to disable this ad