Can I mix Ampeg Head with Markbass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by skidmarkbass, Dec 4, 2012.

1. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

I have a MB rig - SD800 with 410/115, also have Ampeg SVT CL w/810 Cab.... I love the Ampeg, but I cant get it down my stairs by my self. Can I use the SVT head with my Markbass cab or cabs without damaging them? Just a thought.
  2. sirpug

sirpug

Yeah, as long as the ohms ratings match.
  3. K73

K73

Depends on what the cabs are rated for. Which MB cabinets are they? I would imagine that you wouldn't have an issue using the head with your MB cabs (apart from the 410/115 thing..) although if the cabs are rated for lower wattage than that pumped out by the Ampeg head you'd need to be careful with the volume controls. You might also need to check the resistance of the cabinets to see if the head is capable of running at the relevant resistance (i.e 2, 4 or 8 ohms).
  4. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

Not sure right now on the exact (MB)model numbers, however Im almost positive its 8ohm set up. The SVT head is set at 4 but I have been using it with 1 cab the 810
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Your CL can only be used at 4 Ohm or 2 Ohm. So, use a 4 Ohm cab or 2x 8 Ohm cabs
  7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 with an all-tube head, it's best to match the impedance exactl;y. So, 4 ohm or 2 ohm load, with the selector set appropriately.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Be careful about trying to get too loud with lows and the MB cabs. The sealed 8x10 naturally controls excursion to a degree but your MB are probably vulnerable. Put the 15 on top so you hear it better.
  9. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

Thanks for the help, everyone.