1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Can I salvage this Subwoofer Box with 3015LFs? Or help me fight a light passive sub!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Tunaman, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Heres the problem

[​IMG]

Lifting 80lbs of sub by myself up & over that isn't going to happen!

The Subs I currently own have EV EVM series II 15B speakers rated at 200W. The dimensions of the box are 24" wide 25" high & only 13.5" deep (back to woofer level) which with .75" thickness wood gets me 3.67 cubic feet of volume

The bottom port is 22" wide x 2" high which I was told gets me a tuning of 50hz

I was told I would be okay putting the Eminence Kappalite 3015LF NEO in there to shave some weight & still have a sub that kicks for DJing & Backup Band Subs (Never full range & Never a bass amp)

It doesnt have to be perfect but would be a decent sub for those applications? Also open to other 15" low frequency woofers that would be good for this box

OR

Recommend a nice lightweight passive sub that would do much better. I was looking at the JBL PRX715xlf active sub as its only 50 lbs but I was told the PRX718XLF blows it out of the water PLUS its $1100 bucks!, the 718XLF is too heavy\bulky to get up those obstacles.

Seems like everyone dumped NEOs including Carvin & a decent 18" sub is going to be 75lbs+. I've looked but if you could find a sub thats around 50-60lbs at the most that can handle some mid range power & still sound good I'm all ears.

[​IMG]

I'll rip off the rat fur promise ;)

2. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

3. David Jayne

David Jayne

There you go. You've got bigger problems than just heavy speakers. It's the box that's killing you. Neo speakers will save only around 9-10lbs. per speaker.

4. Tunaman

Figured I'd get the greenboy sub response. Anybody run one or a pair for subs with quality mains as a dj? How about the projection of a drum kick?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I ran 2 fEarful 12.Subs off 1 side of a plx 2404. Mackie C200's on top crossed out between 120 and 150 depending on the room. They worked great. Nice keyboard, bass and kick drum reinforcement. Those little subs are tuned around 45 as best I recall.

7. Tunaman

From everything I"m reading, my box isn't HORRIBLE for these maybe a tad undersized for internal volume but not by much. The port appears to be the right dimensions.

I'm going to try this...

I'll have everything post crossover so I'm thinking I dont need to add any internal crossovers.

Can I use 12 gauge zip cord copper cables internally to connect to the speakon jack?

Do I need any internal parts like capacitors etc in between the jack the the speaker?

8. frnjplayer

frnjplayer

12 AWG internal? yes
    Capacitors? not if you have an external crossover. And you you don't have an external crossover a capacitor is the wrong par to fix the problem.

9. Tunaman

Just wanted to make sure I could go right from speaker to the jack... thats actually how these are wired now but I'll be using new wire, new jack & the 3015LF while they are on sale at Partsexpress :)

10. Tunaman

I emailed Eminence about the best 15" LF with a 14" baffle for these boxes. I'll keep yall posted.

I'm thinking of keeping the EVs though. They are actually quality speakers, not super loud but after doing some research they are good. Not sure I'm getting much lower frequencies out of this box regardless of what I put in here.

Could make a bass cab out of these 15-Bs or sell em to someone that will get good use out of them

11. Tunaman

UGH ! Theres one thats an EV 15-B & the other that are EV 15-L !!

Now for sale on Boston Craigslist! Still waiting on Eminence to see if its worth it to put a decent woofer in a 3.67 cu ft box.