1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Can I say "No" to sharing my bass at a jam?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slick_tu, Jan 25, 2013.

1. slick_tu

slick_tu Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    South Jersey
    It hasn't happened to me, yet, but if I go to a jam, and someone asks to try my bass or use it for a song, is it OK for me to say no? Or would that be very bad manners on my part? What is the most tactful way to decline?

I have a Fender Custom Shop P, and I would rather not let someone else play it. After all, most guys probably wouldn't let me fondle their girlfriends if I asked, right? :bag:

2. It's yours.
    Say no.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. dbnet03

dbnet03

Jan 1, 2010
    Your equipment, your rule.

5. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I say no all the time....

6. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
  7. neren

neren

Jun 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    No means no! My Fender, my rights!

8. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Of course you can. If it's someone I have seen and built a rapport, I usually think it's okay.

9. it all depends on who is asking...if I don't know them, its a definite NO...if its somebody I know and is truly a good musician, I will say yes. And then watch them like a hawk.

10. Some people I can trust so I find no problem in lending. As for others, I would never let them even touch my basses.

If you want to say no, especially with an instrument like yours, it's perfectly alright.

11. I tend to pimp mine out. I've made hundreds in a night trickin' a loose mim fender jazz 5. I've probably paid for it 10 fold come to think of it... And that is including money I saved on drinks!

12. I agree it's OK to say no. Especially if they have a big metal belt buckle. I always wear mine to the side and my thirty year-old bass has a pristine back.

13. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have said NO plenty of times.... Bad manners or not....

14. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I do not lend my bass to anyone, especially at a jam.

15. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Lincoln, NE
    Perfectly acceptable to say no if you don't feel comfortable about it. I know some people I'd trust with any instrument I have, and some I wouldn't let use a $12 pawn shop special.

16. wmheilma

wmheilma

Jan 5, 2010
    If you do not want people to play your bass, don't let 'em! If you feel obligated to 'share' then bring a bass that you are willing to subject to unknown slime, grime, bash, and smash!!

17. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    it's only bad manners if you throw up the middle-finger when saying "NO".

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Kraft Dinner, Michelob Ultra and Herradura Tequila
    If I host a jam, I always bring a backup bass that isn't expensive.

Sorry, no drunk or hack touches my MTD or Spector, but one should be prepared.

19. Kubicki440

Kubicki440

Feb 6, 2011
    Florence, Ky
    Tactfully decline, it's good manners by all means. Don't go to a jam session without your guitar/bass, and certainly do not ask for someone else's. J/K. :)

I wouldn't be offended if someone declined on my end.

20. Kubicki440

Kubicki440

Feb 6, 2011
    Florence, Ky
    + 1

Drummers need not apply to this rule just bring your own sticks. :)