Can I Tune to Drop C and Drop D on one bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshSmith, Nov 12, 2013.

1. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

I play songs in drop D and Drop C. More Drop C. Is there a strung gauge that I can do this? Please help thanks!
  2. scottiwkt

scottiwkt Supporting Member

The last metal band I was in did all our tunes in drop C. I restrung my basses with the 4 heaviest strings from a 5 string set. After all, C is only a full step higher than the standard B string on a 5 string bass. The only issue was that I had to file the nut for the heavier strings. If you want to go back to standard strings, you have to replace the nut with one cut for standard guage EADG strings.
  3. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

So could I play in both Drop C and D with the same strings?
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

You play four string, right?

Also, are you talking about detuning just the lowest string, or all strings?

If you are referring to all strings, well, I'd suggest just detuning the lowest one. In other words, alternate from DGCF to CGCF. Took a little bit of practice, but I got used to using detuned E string back when I played fours (then I switched to five and didn't have to worry about detuning any more :ninja:). Anyway, if you're just detuning the lowest string, you could just flip the lever on a Hipshot Xtender rather than detune/retune all strings.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Sure. You could check out DR strings, they make a 'DDT' set designed for drop tuning. Or, just try out any heavy gauge strings. Some brands offer custom sets where you can choose your own gauges, but for starters, just go with heavies.
  7. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Guys, I think he means Drop D, as in DADG, and Drop C, as in CGCF. This would be theoretically doable but very difficult. I would second Fuzzbass's suggestion of using D Standard and dropping to Drop C.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Please allow me to be "that guy." If you played a 5-string, this would be a simple matter.
  9. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

Yes I'm using a 4 string. I'm referring to CGCF and DADG
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yep, me too
  11. IronSpatula

IronSpatula

Get a nice heavy set and tune to drop C. Capo second fret for drop D. You'd get the same tension in both tunings and wouldn't have to re-tune.

Blasphemous? :bag:
  12. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

Do you have a suggestion on gauge? Also could I do DGCF and CGCF with the same strings?
  13. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Yes, but the further up the neck you start playing the further out your intonation will be in 1 of the tunings.
  14. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Gauge, go for a...110 low D/C. For the rest a standard 85-65-45 set should work fine. I think. Try it! You can get custom gauge sets from some manufacturers through Bass Strings Online (and special VIP pricing!)

And yes, DGCF and CGCF will work fine on the same bass, but either the D or the low C is going to feel a bit "off" until you get used to it. Considering investing in a D-tuner to make dropping easier.