1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can I use a DI as an interface?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 5StringThunder, Feb 11, 2013.

1. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

I would like to record onto the computer (I've been using an iPad with an iRig into garage band) and I'm curious as to whether or not I can use a DI box as an audio interface? Before I've run my signal straight into the mic input on the computer and it sounded like I was using a potato. So can I run bass->pedal board->DI->computer? Thanks!
  2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    You can use the mic input on the computer but it's not going to sound very good. It's not designed for instrumets. It's meant for speach only.

You need a real interface. They start at $100 and You'll get A LOT better sound out of it.

You can save a few bucks by getting an USB to XLR interface cable, but if you ever want to do 2 sources at once you can't.
  3. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

I've been using the mic in on the computer. Sounds like a potato. Thanks for the input. Any recommendations?
  4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

Browse on over to the recording gear topic and you'll find lots of recommendations about interfaces.