1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can I use a SPDT Mini-Toggle as a pickup selector for an EMG P/J setup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rusty the Scoob, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob

Just checking... can I use a mini-toggle as a pickup selector, specifically with EMG P/J? I'm hoping to reduce the total number of knobs on the bass I'm designing, that's why I'm trying to avoid Vol/Vol or Vol/Blend. I expect to have it in the P-only position most of the time anyway.
  2. Alexio58

Alexio58

Yes, you can achieve this by installing a mini 3 way DPDT switch and using only one half of it. Then use the switch connector that is included in the package and follow the instalation instructions, only leave the ground wire disconnected, mini switches don't need grounding.
  3. line6man

line6man

It is possible, but you would need a center-on switch, and those are a bit rare. The usual method is to use a DPDT On/On/On switch.

No, you need both poles, unless you have a center-on switch. DPDT On/On/On switches are intended to be externally jumpered to SP3T switching patterns, so the middle position connects one common to a normally open throw, and the other common to a normally closed throw. If you join the commons, then you can have one pickup, both, or the other.
  4. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob

Hmm, I thought I was getting it and even made a diagram but now I'm not sure. Is this the right idea?

[​IMG]
  5. line6man

line6man

Close. The P pickup should go to the terminal to the right of what is shown, and the J pickup should go to the terminal to the left of what is shown.
  6. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob

:p That gave me an actual chuckle. Ok, so I did understand. Thanks!