1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can Microphonic Feedback Damage an Amp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by prater, Jan 9, 2014.

1. prater

prater Supporting Member

Letting my guitarist use my old Fender Ultimate Chorus and my old Ibanez guitar, apparently the pickups are microphonic and resulted in some ear piercing runaway feedback a couple of times. We got it under control enough to play for a bit, I plan on potting the pickups in the guitar tomorrow. But I'm worried about the amp.

Could this have damaged the amp or the speakers.

They seemed to sound fine afterward but the drummer kept making comments about how he thought the amp was about to die. Albeit it is not a great amp but it sounded like normal to me.
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Prolonged feedback can damage a poorly designed amp, but generally it's just the speakers (and the audiences ears) that take the hit.
    Especially high frequency drivers.

Regards
    Sam
  3. ggunn

ggunn

Low frequency drivers can also be destroyed by high frequency oscillation from an amp. The driver cannot move fast enough to respond to the signal it is getting, so the energy in the signal turns into heat in the voice coil.