1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can Setting gain too high damage amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MrRoden96, Jan 16, 2013.

1. MrRoden96

MrRoden96

Can this happen because the peak light on my tc electronic BH 500 keeps coming on
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If you are talking about the input clip light, then no, you cannot damage an amp by overdriving the preamp, and with some amps (especially those with tube preamps) that can be a very nice sounding thing.

With most solid state amps, you would not want that clip light coming on much, not for safety reasons, but rather that it can sound like dog (i.e., solid state preamp clipping).

If, on the other hand, you are talking about your power amp/output clip light constantly coming on, that suggests, depending on the design of the indicator, that you are overdriving the power amp past its spec'd limits. Over time, that can cause some issues, and in a short time, you can blow a tweeter diaphragm pretty easily (the distortion coming out of the power amp is mostly very high frequency, which can damage tweeters that aren't protected.

Preamp clip light.... if it sounds good to you, have at it!
  3. MrRoden96

MrRoden96

It doesnt sound distorted....

I think all of this TC stuff is abit over engineered
  4. MrRoden96

MrRoden96

And thanks for the detail.

So as long as it doesnt hurt my cabs its ok?

And its the input light thats coming on
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You should be just fine. If it sounds good, it is good.
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

just put a piece of black electrical tape over the light.

That's what I do with the check engine light in my car..... :D
  7. cashpoor51

cashpoor51 Supporting Member

Haha you made me chuckle pretty good on this one
  8. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

This is also the correct method to deal with the flashing clock on VCRs. Used to be near impossible to program.
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

My ex wife did the black tape on the oil light.......don't do it with that light.